Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Portrait + Photoshop
Posted By: Photochop, 03-03-2007, 12:46 AM

I was feeling a little creative today Not sure if it's working though There are many things wrong with this picture but I had fun creating it. I used another DIY softbox I made but it seems that one light isn't enough to cover all the shadows so I tried play around with the shadows instead. I'd like to know your first impressions of this.

M50 1:2 ISO 800 1/15 sec

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/128/408495346_67cde0e319_o.jpg
Views: 2,511
03-03-2007, 01:27 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Hi Photochop!

This photo renders the feel of a social documentary photography. The face is half lit, adding a sense of dark inner reflection. The wrinkle shows some age and sophistication.

The hands enaged the audience. The cigarette gives off some traits of "antisocial" behaviour.

The background lighting on the left of the image contrasts well with the subject - rough and busy urban life behind him

Overall, this is a great protrait for me
03-03-2007, 08:12 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I look at it and look at it again. Something appeals but I am not clear what draws me back.

The eyes engage me while the triangle of the hands and the way you are holding the smoke seems as if you were listening to our conversation.
03-03-2007, 04:20 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys, I really appreciate your feedback. This portrait is of my boyfriend and he's pretty happy about the way it turned out which of course make me really happy

03-03-2007, 06:20 PM   #5

Photos: Albums
I really like this shot! The color and expression works very well together. Nice job
03-04-2007, 11:16 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks PentaxFan
03-05-2007, 10:05 AM   #7
Veteran Member

That's an interesting photo. Is that a fishtank in the background to the right? The lighting is drawing me in...you got the strong yellow light to the left, and then that greenish bluish light from the right.

03-05-2007, 10:13 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very well done. I am a bit biased, I like side lit portraits. I like the color and saturation as well.
03-05-2007, 10:45 AM   #9
Veteran Member

If you just lit the cigarette and capture the smoke trailling off, the picture would be perfect. (not endorsing smoking but just lighting it to get the effect.)
03-05-2007, 12:54 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
You're good Alvin, yes that's an aquarium in the background. The bright white streaks are from the air bubbles rising. I find that really hot spot a bit distracting so I'll have to figure out a way to mute it without losing the colour around it.

Thanks for the kind words David

Pete, funny enough the cigar was lit and stinking up the entire room ...must be a slow burner so the camera did not catch the smoke under that lighting. I tried getting Al to do a French inhale so I could get part of his face covered in smoke but his expression looked kinda dorky in that one
03-05-2007, 05:08 PM   #11
Veteran Member

definitely like this portrait, it has a great raw feel to it! As Clarence has said, something about it just keeps drawing the eye back. I think the highlight on the eye on the dark side of the face really nails it.

-Dan
03-05-2007, 06:38 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I'm looking at this under a different monitor at home and WHOA! Just got blown away by the subtle colouring from the lighting! I can now underline what I said earlier:

NICE JOB!
03-05-2007, 07:05 PM   #13

Awesome shot!! The blue hues in the background and on his shirt make his eyes pop. The shadows really work for the picture. Nice job.
03-05-2007, 08:10 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi V, I really like the shot, I agree with khardur that the highlight in the left eye makes the shot. The only criticism I have is that the blown highlight in the aquarium tank is a bit distracting. Maybe if you could just clone out that one white spot? Or maybe blur/fuzz it somehow?

NaCl(he looks sad/introspective)H2O
03-05-2007, 08:26 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Dan! I wasn't sure if the highlight in the right eye was a bit much, at first I was going to darken it a little more but then I started to like the look of it and I think you're right, it kinda draws you into his eyes more.

Hey Alvin, thanks again! It's amazing how much difference a monitor can make eh? I had that same reaction when I had my monitor calibrated...speaking of which I think it's time for another calibration Oh and btw, I went back for that paper to finish my softbox and it's called Mylar 2 sided frosted paper and it costs .79 cents a sheet.

Thanks Gaven! I appreciate your feedback.

And Thank You NaClH2O! I agree with you, that bright spot has got to go!