Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
In the Heat of Battle
Lens: Super Tac 50mm f:1.4 Camera: Pentax Spotmatic Photo Location: South China Sea 
Posted By: Dewman, 10-11-2019, 08:50 AM

I was a young US Navy photographer, serving aboard the USS Ticonderoga when I took this image. This was during the early days of the war and we were steaming somewhere off the coast of Vietnam, preparing to bomb Hanoi and Haiphong.

Last edited by Dewman; 01-28-2020 at 01:31 PM.
Views: 440
10-11-2019, 08:55 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Viewed at 100%, it's soft, there's not a lot of shadow texture, and there are some blown highlights on the nose cone. Clearly you need a better lens, a better body with more dynamic range, and better noise reduction in post.

End sarc.

Excellent shot! I love the composition, very dynamic and adrenaline-inducing.

Edit: And thanks for your service--back at a time when it wasn't all that much appreciated.

Last edited by Sir Nameless; 10-11-2019 at 09:06 AM. Reason: I was remiss.
10-11-2019, 11:39 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
I was a young US Navy photographer, serving aboard the USS Ticonderoga when I took this image. This was during the early days of the war and we were steaming somewhere off the coast of Vietnam, preparing to bomb Hanoi and Haiphong.
So by 'the war' you mean Vietnam - my parents meant World War II by that term/
10-11-2019, 11:40 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Dramatic image! Thanks for sharing.
Best.

10-11-2019, 11:45 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
So by 'the war' you mean Vietnam - my parents meant World War II by that term/
Ops.... my bad. Yes, it was the Vietnam War. This photo was taken, IIRC in late '66 and we were bombing Haiphong and mining their harbor and bombing Hanoi. The escalation was off and running. Don't get me started.

Note: I might mention, a good deal of my duty was manning the video camera in the "greenhouse." You can see it near the tip of the refueling probe on the nose of the plane. The walls were made of plexiglas and it was the best seat in the house. You could see everything happening on the flight deck, from stem to stern. We videotaped every launch and recovery.
10-11-2019, 03:06 PM   #6
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice one. The difference between film and digital!! There is no doubt what the image shows and you captured the feeling. That is what photography is about (for me, anyway).
10-11-2019, 04:07 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
Nice one. The difference between film and digital!! There is no doubt what the image shows and you captured the feeling. That is what photography is about (for me, anyway).
Thanks for the comments, Peter. If this scene had been shot digitally, with a longer length lens, it would have lost the aspect of the airplane "looming" over you and the steam from the catapult wouldn't have seemed as menacing. The edginess of Tri-X on some subject matter is irreplaceable.

10-19-2019, 11:20 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Wonderful shot!