Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
4 Likes  #1
Iridescence
Lens: DFA 150-450 Camera: K3 Photo Location: Pebbly Beach, NSW ISO: 1600 Shutter Speed: 1/350s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: RobG, 10-13-2019, 05:42 AM

Iridescence
by RobGeraghty, on Flickr
Views: 691
10-13-2019, 06:31 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
A beauty, well-captured! What kind of bird is it? The blue eye stands out; I've never seen anything like it!
Best.
10-13-2019, 06:54 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Charlie Victor Quote
A beauty, well-captured! What kind of bird is it? The blue eye stands out; I've never seen anything like it!
Best.
Thanks! It's a male Satin Bowerbird. They are endemic to eastern Australia. The females and young males are green. The males only turn this dark blue colour when they mature at about the age of five years. They were the first animal other than humans to have been found to steal things that weren't food; there was an article in Scientific American about it. The males build structures called bowers around which they collect trinkets - blue ones, if they can get them. They will steal the trinkets from each other to have the best collection to attract the ladies. I've also watched a Bowerbird paint the sticks in his bower, and others have observed them using bark as a brush to do this.

---------- Post added 14-10-19 at 12:55 AM ----------

Satin Bowerbird
by RobGeraghty, on Flickr
10-13-2019, 06:55 AM   #4
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A very interesting eye. Good capture. Didn't pick it as a satin bowerbird. Thought it was a NZ bird.

Last edited by PJ1; 10-13-2019 at 06:56 AM. Reason: Added info
10-13-2019, 07:54 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great shot!!!!
10-13-2019, 07:56 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
This one is hard to ignore . TFS
10-13-2019, 10:55 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Really nice shot amazing eye color.

10-13-2019, 11:00 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Rob, I'm not familiar with that particular lens, but if this is any indication of it's sharpness, I'm VERY impressed. I'm a die-hard sharpness chaser and this really snaps my shorts. Bravo.
10-13-2019, 02:52 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
A very interesting eye. Good capture. Didn't pick it as a satin bowerbird. Thought it was a NZ bird.
Alas, I didn't get many photos of birds in NZ. I was really hoping for a decent photo of a Tui, but they like to hide in amongst tree branches. I'll just have to go back again!

QuoteOriginally posted by manishved Quote
Great shot!!!!
Thank you!

QuoteOriginally posted by pichaser Quote
This one is hard to ignore . TFS
Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by foxandcrow Quote
Really nice shot amazing eye color.
Thanks - it's hard to catch them in the sunlight, but cool if you can!

QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
Rob, I'm not familiar with that particular lens, but if this is any indication of it's sharpness, I'm VERY impressed. I'm a die-hard sharpness chaser and this really snaps my shorts. Bravo.
Thanks - what's especially impressive is that this is the DFA 150-450 combined with the HD DA 1.4 teleconverter, and it's still sharp. It makes hand-holding the combination a challenge though! I'm really looking forward to the next flagship APS-C camera, because the DFA 150-450 has more resolution than the K3 can capture, but I don't really want to lose effective focal length with full frame.