Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
7 Likes  
David & Goliath
Posted By: Dewman, 10-15-2019, 10:20 AM

Not long after my discharge from the Navy, I worked for McClatchy News Services in 1970 and was assigned to photograph the California State Bantamweight Championship fight, held in Stockton, Ca. It featured two very slight, tough little fighters, Rojelio Lara (L) and Rudy Villagonza. The fighter on the left won in a split decision, with a monstrous riot following the announcement! One fighter was Filipino, the other Hispanic.... and in Stockton, there was a lot of racial tension at the time. Perhaps the best boxing match I've ever seen..... but the riot was ugly.

Last edited by Dewman; 01-28-2020 at 01:30 PM.
Views: 987
10-16-2019, 09:57 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yep, this is excellent!

10-16-2019, 04:55 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Superb action sports photography. I remember the days of attending fights in Boston Garden. What impressed me the most were the sports photographers who had as many as five or six cameras

draped around them. That is a lot of weight when considering that back then, the gear was all heavy metal. Thanks for an awesome shot with a tremendous vantage point.

TT
10-16-2019, 05:57 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
Superb action sports photography. I remember the days of attending fights in Boston Garden. What impressed me the most were the sports photographers who had as many as five or six cameras

draped around them. That is a lot of weight when considering that back then, the gear was all heavy metal. Thanks for an awesome shot with a tremendous vantage point.

TT
Thanks, Tony. This was taken with a Pentax Spotmatic with a 50mm f:1.4 lens, Tri-X pushed to 1,200 ASA. It was the only way I could get the shutter speed needed to come close to freezing the action. I had ring side seats. A press pass opens a lot of doors.
10-16-2019, 06:09 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The use of B&W really makes this gritty and brutal.

10-18-2019, 08:58 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A classic image if there ever was one!

Excellent shot and catching the mood of the fight!
10-19-2019, 02:38 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Excellent photo that captures the moment!
10-19-2019, 12:11 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
Not long after my discharge from the Navy, I worked for McClatchy News Services in 1970 and was assigned to photograph the California State Bantamweight Championship fight, held in Stockton, Ca. It featured two very slight, tough little fighters, Rojelio Lara (L) and Rudy Villagonza. The fighter on the left won in a split decision, with a monstrous riot following the announcement! One fighter was Filipino, the other Hispanic.... and in Stockton, there was a lot of racial tension at the time. Perhaps the best boxing match I've ever seen..... but the riot was ugly.
Great shot!

10-19-2019, 03:24 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Excellent capture. Has a very cinematic feel to it. Thanks for sharing a little bit of history with us.
10-19-2019, 04:20 PM   #24
F/8 & Somewhere
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Excellent sports image that captures a static but very intense moment in the fight. "Goliath", with bulging muscles and veins, and that deep groove down his back, with its dark shadow, seemingly towering over his apparently diminutive opponent. Not seeing his face makes him almost inhumanly ominous. "David", not displaying the powerful body of the opponent, but with a total focus, perhaps with a bit of apprehension, on his opponent. The high-contrast light brings out the grittiness of the action. Great composition.

A full fight story in a still moment. Superb. Thanks.
10-19-2019, 07:11 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TedH42 Quote
Excellent sports image that captures a static but very intense moment in the fight. "Goliath", with bulging muscles and veins, and that deep groove down his back, with its dark shadow, seemingly towering over his apparently diminutive opponent. Not seeing his face makes him almost inhumanly ominous. "David", not displaying the powerful body of the opponent, but with a total focus, perhaps with a bit of apprehension, on his opponent. The high-contrast light brings out the grittiness of the action. Great composition.

A full fight story in a still moment. Superb. Thanks.
You have great insight, Ted. This was what I had HOPED to capture.... or something along those lines....when I was sent there for the newspaper I worked for at the time. I've got an entire roll of film I shot that night, but I thought this was the best. Thanks for your comments.
10-19-2019, 07:35 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

An amazing shot Dewey, amazing intensity!! Also amazing is there wasn't a scintilla of autofocus involved!!
10-19-2019, 09:39 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
An amazing shot Dewey, amazing intensity!! Also amazing is there wasn't a scintilla of autofocus involved!!
Auto focus? Heck, back then through-the-lens metering was a miracle of the ages! Spotmatic was KING!