Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
5 Likes  #1
Squirrel Umbrellas....Actually called May Apples
Lens: smc PENTAX-DA FISH-EYE 10-17mm F3.5-4.5 ED[IF] Camera: K-3 Photo Location: Rankin County, MS ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/250s Aperture: F9 
Posted By: Larrymc, 10-15-2019, 07:28 PM

Forest Floor plant growth....I haven't a clue what it is
by Larry Mc, on Flickr

Last edited by Larrymc; 10-28-2019 at 07:45 AM.
Views: 883
10-16-2019, 12:24 AM   #2
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What an interesting plant. It is always nice to see something unusual.
10-16-2019, 12:48 AM   #3
Veteran Member

That is a great shot at ground level, wish I could get down there.I love the title too......
10-16-2019, 07:52 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
What an interesting plant. It is always nice to see something unusual.
Many thanks, they are definitely different and are unusual to me at least. I saw them on the forest floor not far from the edge of a small forested and had to get a few images! Thanks for the comment and visit!!

10-16-2019, 07:55 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Shelly Quote
That is a great shot at ground level, wish I could get down there.I love the title too......
Many thanks, I appreciate your comment!
10-16-2019, 08:18 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Those look pretty neat.
10-16-2019, 08:26 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
Those look pretty neat.
They definitely are pretty neat looking especially when there is a whole group of them. Thanks for the comment!!

10-16-2019, 09:24 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Larry, what in the world are those things? I've wandered around in the woods in lots of different places/states and I've never seen anything like them. Nice capture.
10-16-2019, 06:47 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
Larry, what in the world are those things? I've wandered around in the woods in lots of different places/states and I've never seen anything like them. Nice capture.
Hey, Dewman, I had never seen any before either until I retired and we moved to where we live now and the little plants are in certain areas in the spring and early summer until the under growth over takes the plants. They are strange looking plants. I had to sit my K-3 down on a couple of limbs to get the shot. Thanks for the comment and the visit, My Friend!
10-26-2019, 06:45 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice perspective - like it!
10-26-2019, 06:46 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
love the PoV. sharp and detailed.
10-26-2019, 06:51 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Hey, Dewman, I had never seen any before either until I retired and we moved to where we live now and the little plants are in certain areas in the spring and early summer until the under growth over takes the plants. They are strange looking plants.
They are really cool and it looks like you have a nice patch! Worth the time to visit them at different stages of their growth if you get the chance- the plants also look neat when they are first emerging. Enjoy your retirement and your forest floor
10-26-2019, 06:55 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Hey, Dewman, I had never seen any before either until I retired and we moved to where we live now and the little plants are in certain areas in the spring and early summer until the under growth over takes the plants. They are strange looking plants. I had to sit my K-3 down on a couple of limbs to get the shot. Thanks for the comment and the visit, My Friend!
With a K-70, KP, or K-1, you could put camera on ground without having to head that way yourself. There is still hope that the "K-3ii replacement" camera will provide that capabilities also.
10-27-2019, 05:08 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi_jono Quote
Nice perspective - like it!
Many thanks and I did it without a flippy screen!! Thanks for the visit!!
10-27-2019, 05:16 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
They are really cool and it looks like you have a nice patch! Worth the time to visit them at different stages of their growth if you get the chance- the plants also look neat when they are first emerging. Enjoy your retirement and your forest floor
Thanks, Brian, there are patches of then just inside the tree line but I haven't found any in a more accessible area for later examination and photographs. A friend says the May Apple produces a lovely white flower just under the leaves. As it gets warmer the snake tend to populate the same area and I really don't need to wander up on a rattlesnake or copperhead in advertently. Thanks for the visit.