Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Seagull Close Up
Lens: Pentax 55-300mm PLM Camera: Pentax KP Photo Location: Wellington Point Queensland ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/640s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: K2 to K50, 10-16-2019, 06:43 AM

Was actually lying full length on my stomach to get some shots of a bunch of gulls and cormorants out on the remains of a pier, when these two landed right beside me. Had to get into a sitting position to turn around and shoot them. They waited patiently. I probably should have focused on the one in front, which might have kept the rear one more or less in focus. Oh well, we live and learn.

Name:  PETE1029.jpg
Views: 516
Size:  77.3 KB

Views: 395
10-16-2019, 08:27 AM   #2
Pentaxian

This is a nice photo! It's quite good that they waited while you took the picture.
10-16-2019, 09:22 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I love the facial expression on the back gull. It reminds me of my geometry teacher in high school. Mrs. Glatke would look at me with the slightly sideways stare when I was getting a little out of line. Great capture. TFS.
10-17-2019, 12:22 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by K2 to K50 Quote
Was actually lying full length on my stomach to get some shots of a bunch of gulls and cormorants out on the remains of a pier, when these two landed right beside me. Had to get into a sitting position to turn around and shoot them. They waited patiently. I probably should have focused on the one in front, which might have kept the rear one more or less in focus. Oh well, we live and learn.
or perhaps you could have gone to a higher f-stop .... you certainly had room to do that with a KP

10-17-2019, 05:52 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
or perhaps you could have gone to a higher f-stop .... you certainly had room to do that with a KP
Well, probably should have done both, higher F stop (or 2), focus on front gull. Maybe higher ISO as well. When confronted unexpectedly with such an opportunity, excitement and "quick, take the pic" overcomes the analytical thought processes at times.
10-17-2019, 06:04 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like the back gull being in focus and the front being out of focus, nice DOF, no need to apologize. What was your focal length, BTW?
10-17-2019, 06:57 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
I like the back gull being in focus and the front being out of focus, nice DOF, no need to apologize. What was your focal length, BTW?
Was using the full 300mm end of the 55-300mm PLM. Probably partly because, as I said, I had been taking shots of a group birds on the remains of a wooden pier out in the water, so that was what the lens was on, and I liked the head-only image it gave me, so left it on that.

I think I chose to focus on the rear bird because its plumage looked fuller, and so smooth. Not sure if the front gull was still a youngster, but its plumage looked just a tad tacky. Or maybe it was inside the minimum focus distance of the lens, and I had no choice!!!