Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Snowy Plover
Lens: DA*300 mm +HD1.4 TC Camera: K3 Photo Location: Sanibel Island Florida ISO: 250 Shutter Speed: 1/3200s Aperture: F6.3 
Posted By: fuzzyphotos, 10-17-2019, 05:34 PM

Spent a week on Sanibel Island end of September, this is what I think is a snowy plover, corrections welcome. Lots of shore birds around, but the bugs ate me alive. I'm just now free of bites!

Still a great place to visit.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Views: 248
10-17-2019, 07:40 PM   #2
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fuzzyphotos Quote
Spent a week on Sanibel Island end of September, this is what I think is a snowy plover, corrections welcome. Lots of shore birds around, but the bugs ate me alive. I'm just now free of bites!

Still a great place to visit.
Nice picture, whatever the shore bird is.

My wife is the one who worries above identifying them - I'm more interested in catching them coming, pecking a few seconds on the beach, and then going,
10-17-2019, 08:29 PM   #3
PJ1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very nice shot. I don't know what bird it is but some kind of plover sounds right. I have just come back from working with the Aboriginal Rangers on the Wellesley Islands (Gulf of Carpentaria) and we were discussing the migratory shore birds up there. One of the islands is a sea/shore bird rookery and migration stop over. I would love to get up there but it is not easy to reach. Maybe I will get back there one day.
10-17-2019, 10:49 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice, crisp capture. You and that lens/TC combination plays well together! TFS.
Best.

10-18-2019, 02:55 AM   #5
Pentaxian

The small Plovers and small sandpipers challenge the heck.out of me this time of year. I think snowy is a fair guess.. Bills the right color and size. I love watching these little guys .

Nice capture there ! You caught the glint in the eye.

Sanibel Islands a great place..bugs aside. Hope you had time to hit up J N DingDarling Refuge.

Al
10-18-2019, 08:07 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Looks so peaceful.

10-19-2019, 09:20 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for the comments

Yes we did Ding Darling (twice), First time saw dolphins, and egrets, second time dolphins, Osprey, Spoonbill, and Ibis. Neither time was optimum for wildlife viewing but did see a few things. I saw the cleanest bald eagle I have ever seen too, white as can be. Around home they are a little more off white due to the muddy rivers they fish in.

I had never seen so many shore birds as were there, the gulf was as calm as I had ever seen it.

Tim