Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Nose Inside the Tent!
Lens: Sigma 18-200 F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Camera: K-3 Photo Location: Flowood, MS ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/50s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: Larrymc, 10-18-2019, 07:23 PM

Nose inside the tent!!
by Larry Mc, on Flickr
Views: 318
10-18-2019, 08:22 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Interesting photo!
10-18-2019, 09:00 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I believe this is the U.S. Air Force's C5 of C5A Cargo Plane. It was at one time the largest aircraft in the world. This is just my guess, but I'm betting this is at Keesler Air Force Base near Biloxi,

Mississippi. The spell checker tells me I am incorrect in the spelling, and I am not incorrect. Very nicely done photo, especially the way you used folks for scale. It is a bigun for sure.

TT
10-19-2019, 02:29 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Nice framing!

10-19-2019, 05:53 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jmacias Quote
Interesting photo!
Many thanks for your comment its much appreciated!!
10-19-2019, 06:01 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
I believe this is the U.S. Air Force's C5 of C5A Cargo Plane
Too small (!) to be a C5. The C5 has a big cargo door on the nose of the plane. I don't see a seam for the door, and the front landing gear is too close to the nose to allow for a door and ramp. I'll venture a guess that it's a C17.

Either way, great photo!
10-19-2019, 06:08 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
I believe this is the U.S. Air Force's C5 of C5A Cargo Plane. It was at one time the largest aircraft in the world. This is just my guess, but I'm betting this is at Keesler Air Force Base near Biloxi,

Mississippi. The spell checker tells me I am incorrect in the spelling, and I am not incorrect. Very nicely done photo, especially the way you used folks for scale. It is a bigun for sure.

TT
Many thanks for the comment, Todd, actually its a Boeing C-17A GlobemasterIII flown by the 172nd Airlift Wing out of Jackson International Airport in Jackson, MS. There are seven C-17As stationed at JAN. The unit is part of the Mississippi Air National Guard and they fly support missions globally in support of the U.S. military and humanitarian missions.

BTW, your spell checker was problably using the Local Phonetic spelling of Miss--sippi.

Thanks for the visit, My Friend!!

Last edited by Larrymc; 10-19-2019 at 08:52 AM.
10-19-2019, 06:09 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi_jono Quote
Nice framing!
Many thanks for the comment, its greatly appreciated!!

10-19-2019, 06:25 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sir Nameless Quote
Too small (!) to be a C5. The C5 has a big cargo door on the nose of the plane. I don't see a seam for the door, and the front landing gear is too close to the nose to allow for a door and ramp. I'll venture a guess that it's a C17.

Either way, great photo!
Thanks for the comment, you are correct this is a C-17A rather than a C-5B/M. Actually the C-5 has no seam in the nose as the whole nose lifts to expose the front loading cargo area.

Last edited by Larrymc; 10-19-2019 at 08:52 AM.
10-19-2019, 08:06 AM   #10
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice perspective of an awesome aircraft Larry.

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
. . . . . actually its a Boeing C-117A GlobemasterIII flown by the 172nd Airlift Wing out of Jackson International Airport in Jackson, MS. There are seven C-117As stationed at JAN.
. . . . . you are correct this is a C-117A rather than a C-5B/M. Actually the C-5 has no seam in the nose as the whole nose lifts to expose the front loading cargo area.
I think you may have too many ones in the designation of the aircraft. It is a C-17, not a C-117. The C-17 was built in several variants, C-17A, C-17A ER as an extended range version with the addition of a center wing tank to carry more fuel, The C-17B with double-slotted flaps, an additional main landing gear on the center fuselage, more powerful engines, and other systems for shorter landing and take-off distances, and the MD-17 a civilian variant later redesignated as BC-17 after 1997 merger of Boeing and McDonnell Douglas.

The C-117 was a variant of the DC-3: Douglas C-117

The C-17 only opens at the rear for cargo loading and unloading, as opposed to the the C-5, which opens at the front and rear for drive through cargo loading and unloading, and does have a seam where the cargo doors are, although it is difficult to see except up close as all gaps of panels and doors are tight for aerosmoothness of the airframe.
10-19-2019, 09:47 AM   #11
Veteran Member

A great perspective, Larry. Again, I can smell it! There's just something about airplanes..... they ALL have that "scent" about them, even Piper Cubs.
10-19-2019, 10:20 AM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Nice perspective of an awesome aircraft Larry.

I think you may have too many ones in the designation of the aircraft. It is a C-17, not a C-117. The C-17 was built in several variants, C-17A, C-17A ER as an extended range version with the addition of a center wing tank to carry more fuel, The C-17B with double-slotted flaps, an additional main landing gear on the center fuselage, more powerful engines, and other systems for shorter landing and take-off distances, and the MD-17 a civilian variant later redesignated as BC-17 after 1997 merger of Boeing and McDonnell Douglas.

The C-117 was a variant of the DC-3: Douglas C-117

The C-17 only opens at the rear for cargo loading and unloading, as opposed to the the C-5, which opens at the front and rear for drive through cargo loading and unloading, and does have a seam where the cargo doors are, although it is difficult to see except up close as all gaps of panels and doors are tight for aerosmoothness of the airframe.
Thanks, yep you are correct I got digit happy there trying to type too fast. I'm pretty familiar with the C-17A as it is often in the traffic pattern several times per week here at JAN and my house is under the 16L/34R downwind leg. My point about the C-5 was that there is no seam visible on the nose of the aircraft like the old C-124 Globemaster II clamshell doors. The whole nose of the C-5 is hydraulically raised for cargo access and the nose gear "kneels" for easier loading through the nose.

BTW, the C-17B and the BC-17 never made it into production, they were proposals by Boeing for extra business.

Thanks for the comment and visit!

Last edited by Larrymc; 10-19-2019 at 06:47 PM.
10-19-2019, 11:22 AM   #13
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

BTW, the C-17B and the BC-17 never made it into production, they were proposals by Beoing for extra business.
Yeah, after McDonnell Douglas bought Boeing with Boeing's own money McDonnell Douglas and Boeing merged, a lot of things changed in the company. Note that the C-17 production ended last year, with no replacement in development.

I wonder what will be next for heavy lifting for the Air Force and Air National Guard.
10-19-2019, 11:58 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
A great perspective, Larry. Again, I can smell it! There's just something about airplanes..... they ALL have that "scent" about them, even Piper Cubs.
Thanks, My Friend, this was the first view of the C-17 as folks walked into the hanger! A quite impressive sight! Thanks for the visit!
10-19-2019, 12:03 PM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I wonder what will be next for heavy lifting for the Air Force and Air National Guard.
Well if the crazies in the House of Representatives have anything to do with it, it will probably be a sail powered wooden clipper ship.