Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
4 Likes  #1
Classic Car Meetup
Lens: Sigma 17-50mm f2.8 EX DC Camera: K5 Photo Location: South Australia ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/20s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: Vital-Blurs, 10-19-2019, 06:53 AM

A mixture of Australian and American cars from a meetup that I attended earlier this evening.

Views: 528
10-19-2019, 06:55 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Beautiful machines, thanks for sharing! I especially like the closeup (first one).
10-19-2019, 07:53 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice series ditto on number one.
10-19-2019, 07:56 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Familiar with the American muscle cars, not too familiar with the last two...Australian cars. I recall reading somewhere a long time ago, that the Aussie Mopars had available an inline hemi six.

Nice series.

10-19-2019, 08:21 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good to see old iron. Many of today's kids have little interest in cars, some not even bothering to get a drivers licence. Times have changed with automation, environmental concerns, and video games, not to forget traffic congestion and clogged roads. We older folks grew up wondering when we could afford our dream cars; we grew up with them. These days, an average family car can outrun many of the old sports cars. I remember on Top Gear, how a Honda family sedan showed up an E Type and an Aston from a few decades past.
In the past we tinkered to get a few more HP but between regulations and automation that has become rare. So who will treasure these performance beasts in the future? Enjoy them while you can, in the same way one can enjoy an old film camera while film is still available.
10-19-2019, 09:47 AM   #6

Nice. Which car is your favorite?
10-19-2019, 02:48 PM   #7
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice shots. My son-in-law is doing a full restoration on a Chrysler Charger.

10-19-2019, 08:52 PM - 2 Likes   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sir Nameless Quote
Beautiful machines, thanks for sharing! I especially like the closeup (first one).
QuoteOriginally posted by foxandcrow Quote
Nice series ditto on number one.
Cheers. Yeah, I was trying to be slightly 'artsy' with that one. I figured people might look at the thumbnail and wonder 'What the hell is that?'

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Familiar with the American muscle cars, not too familiar with the last two...Australian cars. I recall reading somewhere a long time ago, that the Aussie Mopars had available an inline hemi six.

Nice series.
Yep, we had 245ci and 265ci straight six hemi's available as well as the V8's. Were the hemi sixpacks not a thing in the US? I honestly don't know all the in's and out's between the US and Oz regarding Mopar.

QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
Good to see old iron. Many of today's kids have little interest in cars, some not even bothering to get a drivers licence. Times have changed with automation, environmental concerns, and video games, not to forget traffic congestion and clogged roads. We older folks grew up wondering when we could afford our dream cars; we grew up with them. These days, an average family car can outrun many of the old sports cars. I remember on Top Gear, how a Honda family sedan showed up an E Type and an Aston from a few decades past.
In the past we tinkered to get a few more HP but between regulations and automation that has become rare. So who will treasure these performance beasts in the future? Enjoy them while you can, in the same way one can enjoy an old film camera while film is still available.
All very true, sadly. I couldn't wait to get my drivers licence as a kid. So much so, that I started driving at 12, lol (where it was safe to do so, of course)

QuoteOriginally posted by PaysonAZTim Quote
Nice. Which car is your favorite?
Definitely the Dodge Charger. It's right up there with the 69 Mustang - absolutely gorgeous cars.

QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
Nice shots. My son-in-law is doing a full restoration on a Chrysler Charger.
Sweet! There were a few at the meetup last night. They're getting rarer every day. So, much respect for your son-in-law for keeping them alive a bit longer.

Thanks for the comments, everyone. It was difficult selecting just 6 photos for the original post

Last edited by Vital-Blurs; 10-19-2019 at 11:52 PM. Reason: More photos
10-20-2019, 12:55 AM   #9
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Vital-Blurs Quote
Classic Car Meetup
Some interesting shots there of fine machinery.

I note the old vehicles didn't park any better than you see around today... so perhaps standards aren't slipping after all.
10-20-2019, 07:22 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Vital-Blurs Quote

Yep, we had 245ci and 265ci straight six hemi's available as well as the V8's. Were the hemi sixpacks not a thing in the US? I honestly don't know all the in's and out's between the US and Oz regarding Mopar.

Thanks for the comments, everyone. It was difficult selecting just 6 photos for the original post
No hemi six cylinders in the USA/Canada back then. We did have the 426 cubic inch Hemi head V8...which came with 2 X 4 barrel carbs and/or 1 X 4 barrel carb. The 440 cubic inch (wedge head) V8 was available with 1 X 4 barrel carb (375 hp) or a six pack...3 X 2 barrel carbs (390 hp).

The Mopar six cylinders available at this time were two, both wedge head inline sixes...they were called the slant six, because they were slanted over at an angle. Same engine , but two cubic inch versions...a 225 cube and a 170 cube. There was one high performance version of this six cylinder engine back in the early 1960's...it had higher compression pistons, hotter cam, performance exhaust header and performance intake manifold with a 4 barrel carb and I think it put out about 190 + hp. It was an engine that was built by Chrysler for a compact car, race series in NASCAR I believe and Chrysler had to crank out a number of copies in order to get it homologated as a 'street' engine, the same reason the 426 Hemi 'street' engine was made available later on.

All this comes from memory, a long time ago. One other six pack was the 340 cube wedge head V8...it was also called a six pack...or six pak due to it having 3X 2 barrel carbs. It was rated at 290 HP and the regular hi performance 340 with a 4 barrel carb was rated at 275 hp...both these engines were notoriously under rated to get into more favourable drag racing classes...they were both street engines.

Hope this helps.

Les