Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Milan in 1974 and 2016
Lens: Tamron 17-50 f2.8 Camera: K3 Photo Location: Milan, Italy ISO: 800 Shutter Speed: 1/30s Aperture: F3.5 
Posted By: RobG, 10-19-2019, 08:27 PM

The Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II in Milan, Italy. First in 1974 photographed by my mother using an Olympus Pen half-frame camera and Kodak Ektachrome film.

Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II
by RobGeraghty, on Flickr

And on Christmas day 2016, using my Pentax K3 and Tamron 17-50 f2.8.

by RobGeraghty, on Flickr

---------- Post added 20-10-19 at 02:43 PM ----------

Judging by the statue in the distance, Mum was half way between the entrance and the middle when she took her photo.
Views: 457
10-19-2019, 09:33 PM   #2
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nicely contrasted shots. Its amazing how conservatively the dress style seems in 1974.
10-20-2019, 12:29 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
Nicely contrasted shots. Its amazing how conservatively the dress style seems in 1974.
Thanks! Think about it now, I'd say the dress style in Europe is still pretty conservative, at least in winter. Lots of dark colours.
10-20-2019, 12:39 AM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
Certainly an interesting place to shoot in, it looks absolutely huge... note to self, must check it out when I'm there.

10-20-2019, 03:37 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Certainly an interesting place to shoot in, it looks absolutely huge... note to self, must check it out when I'm there.
I recommend it! Although my favourite building in Milan is across the Piazza from this one - the Duomo. You'd have pretty cheap flights from Scotland to Milan, I expect?
10-20-2019, 04:30 AM   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
You'd have pretty cheap flights from Scotland to Milan
Unfortunately direct flights from the Highlands are never easy or cheap.... Inverness to Milan with KLM via Schiphol is AU$ 1100.00 and takes 7 hours or EasyJet Via London, a more reasonable AU$ 300.00 and only takes 5 hours.

I need to try and roll Milan in with something else when I'm that way already.
10-20-2019, 05:10 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Unfortunately direct flights from the Highlands are never easy or cheap.... Inverness to Milan with KLM via Schiphol is AU$ 1100.00 and takes 7 hours or EasyJet Via London, a more reasonable AU$ 300.00 and only takes 5 hours.
Yikes! The KLM flight is a lot more expensive than I'd expect. Easyjet was what I was aiming at though. To get to Milan, I flew from Canberra to Sydney, Sydney to Singapore, Singapore to Frankfurt, Frankfurt to Barcelona, train to Madrid, then a flight to Milan. I did have a couple of days in Singapore, Barcelona, Madrid and Toledo on the way, so I can't say the continuous flight time. The Canberra to Sydney flight is an hour, the Sydney to Singapore flight is nine hours, 13 hours from Singapore to Frankfurt, 2 hours from Frankfurt to Barcelona, 2 hours from Madrid to Milan. The connecting flights to Sydney were about $300, the flights return to Singapore about $700, and Lufthansa was about $1000 I think. I'm not sure how much the Iberia flight to Milan was, or the high speed train from Barcelona to Madrid. We then drove for a few days through Switzerland before returning to Milan then getting stuck overnight because the BA flight to London was cancelled, and ended up flying Aerlingus via Dublin...

If I never see the inside of a Lufthansa plane, it will be too soon. I can't believe that I just saw a five star rating for the Singapore to Frankfurt economy flight on trip advisor.

QuoteQuote:
I need to try and roll Milan in with something else when I'm that way already.
Fair enough! FYI if you want to see Leonardo's Last Supper, you need to book months in advance for a very specific time slot. We stayed at a hotel just across the road from the church, but the tour bus companies had booked out all the available slots until closing time and there was no sympathy from the people at the ticket counter (and talking about ticket counters for a church sounds weird).

PS I don't recommend driving around Lake Como. The roads are narrow, with blind corners. If I go back, it will be a bus tour so someone else can deal with driving!

10-20-2019, 05:17 AM - 1 Like   #8
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

o get to Milan, I flew from Canberra to Sydney, Sydney to Singapore, Singapore to Frankfurt, Frankfurt to Barcelona, train to Madrid, then a flight to Milan.
Aye but lets be honest... you are on the other side of the planet, whereas I'm allegedly still in Europe, mind you not sure on that for how long.
10-20-2019, 05:20 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I like your shot, but your mom chose the better framing
10-20-2019, 05:53 AM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
I like your shot, but your mom chose the better framing
Mum was an artist, what can I say? Taking photos at all was a challenge at night on Christmas Day in Milan.
10-20-2019, 07:05 AM   #11
Pentaxian

cool documentation! Love shots like this.
10-20-2019, 07:21 AM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aitrus3 Quote
cool documentation! Love shots like this.
Thank you! I was pleased that I recognised the place in the old photo from my recent visit.
10-20-2019, 08:13 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very interesting and quiet an amazing difference in the shots.
10-20-2019, 03:32 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by foxandcrow Quote
Very interesting and quiet an amazing difference in the shots.
Clearly they cleaned the building since 1974, but also it would be unfair to expect the same resolution as the K3 sensor from half a 35mm frame! Although there's a bit of a limitation in terms of the resolution of my Nikon LS30 scanner.