Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
The Answer to a Prayer
Lens: Pentax-DA 18-135mm Camera: K-50 Photo Location: Idaho 
Posted By: Dewman, 10-20-2019, 01:35 PM

I've spent the past two months trying my best to find a home for this beautiful little girl. She came from a series of pit-bull rescue shelters and ended up with a very unfit owner, who happened to be my next door neighbor. She was going to send her to the pound. The poor 2 1/2 year-old dog is blind in one eye, has had NO formal training, isn't house-broken and has some anxiety issues due to her having been severely mistreated, beaten and used as a bait dog for dog fighting. NO ONE is going to adopt her from a shelter and she would have been put down within a couple of days. I wasn't.... couldn't let that happen.

Anyway, I took it upon myself to find her a FOREVER HOME, and yesterday, it happened! I miss her already. I had become attached to her more than I thought possible.

Sorry for the long post. Maybe I should have put it somewhere else. Don't want to get in the dog house around here AGAIN!

Last edited by Dewman; 01-28-2020 at 01:30 PM.
Views: 520
10-20-2019, 02:37 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Good for you. I'm happy to hear that you were able to find a great home for this dog who has had a lot of bad things in it's young life. We don't have a dog now, but in years past have gotten rescue dogs. They have made great members of the family.
10-20-2019, 03:17 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wonderful story with a happy ending. Made my day.
10-20-2019, 03:40 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
I've spent the past two months trying my best to find a home for this beautiful little girl. She came from a series of pit-bull rescue shelters and ended up with a very unfit owner, who happened to be my next door neighbor. She was going to send her to the pound. The poor 2 1/2 year-old dog is blind in one eye, has had NO formal training, isn't house-broken and has some anxiety issues due to her having been severely mistreated, beaten and used as a bait dog for dog fighting. NO ONE is going to adopt her from a shelter and she would have been put down within a couple of days. I wasn't.... couldn't let that happen.

Anyway, I took it upon myself to find her a FOREVER HOME, and yesterday, it happened! I miss her already. I had become attached to her more than I thought possible.

Sorry for the long post. Maybe I should have put it somewhere else. Don't want to get in the dog house around here AGAIN!
Give thanks any time you have a prayer answered.

10-20-2019, 03:42 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well done Dewey. You certainly are blessed with a kind, compassionate and generous spirit. I have to admit, I would not had the heart to part with her. Beautiful looking k-9 and that coat of hers

is testimony to your taking excellent care of her. Thnx for sharing, and nice photo.

TT
10-20-2019, 04:04 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
I have to admit, I would not had the heart to part with her.
Tony, there's a little more to the story that I've shared. The previous owner, who lived next door, has 3 little girls and this was their family pet.... but Mom was insistent that the dog GO! She was a terrible pet owner. She was threatening to take her to the pound. I would have LOVED to make her my own, but I cherish the reputation I have with the children in my neighborhood. They call me Grandpa. I've cultivated that and I would NEVER do anything to change their opinion of me. Not in a million years. When my time comes to go on the Big Backing Trip, I want to be remembered as the nice, gray-haired old man down the street that was always kind and gentle with us, NOT "That sorry old SOB that stole our dog!" They would continue to live next door, but I'D have their dog.

I miss that little dog already.... more than I ever thought. She was a dandy, but I think you see the the predicament I was in. But, she's where she needs to be and I'm at peace with it. I couldn't have hoped for a better outcome.

The new owner called me this afternoon and said that Addy slept in their bed last night and they "spooned" all night long!
10-20-2019, 04:49 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Very nice Dewman. This is a great heartwarming story.

10-20-2019, 05:53 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The picture says it all. And as TonyT said, that beautiful looking coat is testimony to how well you cared for her. A really nice-looking dog.
10-20-2019, 07:51 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You're a Gem kind Sir! Wonderful compassion!!
10-21-2019, 09:21 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I got a call from the new owners last night and Addy is doing wonderfully. They've started an Instagram page for her and they're going to post new photos and videos every week so the neighborhood can see how she's growing. I'm one happy pappy!

I hope it's OK to post this very brief photo of her. Google Photos

I think this says all that needs to be said about whether she's happy or not. Thanks for all the wonderful comments. This has been a very rewarding yet very bittersweet happening in my life. I won't ever forget this little girl. I'm writing a short book on the subject, called "The Neighborhood Thief."
10-21-2019, 11:08 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
I think this says all that needs to be said about whether she's happy or not.
No doubt about it: that is one dog that knows she has found the right home!! Obviously reveling in the kind attention she is getting.