Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Milky Way?
Lens: DA 12-24@12 Camera: K5lls Photo Location: Seagrove,NC ISO: 5000 Shutter Speed: Above 6s Aperture: F5.6 
Posted By: mahanpots, 10-21-2019, 05:30 PM

It was a clear night the other night, and I took this 10-second exposure, tweaking it a bit in Photoshop. I believe it's the Milky Way.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 

Views: 889
10-21-2019, 05:45 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Sure looks like it; very nice. Where did you take this? My attempts at Milky Way photography on the Connecticut shoreline have foundered on the massive amounts of light pollution here (especially coming off Long Island).
10-21-2019, 05:49 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ecostigny Quote
Sure looks like it; very nice. Where did you take this? My attempts at Milky Way photography on the Connecticut shoreline have foundered on the massive amounts of light pollution here (especially coming off Long Island).
I'm out in the country in the middle of North Carolina.
10-21-2019, 06:36 PM   #4
Pentaxian

That certainly helps; I would have to drive a ways to see skies as dark as you apparently have. This picture shows what I'm up against.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
10-21-2019, 06:56 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Well done Mahanpots.

Ecostigny, you need to travel out to find a dark place. That's half the fun; finding the spot.
10-21-2019, 07:21 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I have a web site that's giving me some ideas; I just need to find the opportunity to get someplace nice and dark with my gear: Light pollution map
10-22-2019, 05:38 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I will be getting a KP at the end of the week. I'll see what kind of night sky shots I can get with it.

10-22-2019, 12:39 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I have a web site that's giving me some ideas; I just need to find the opportunity to get someplace nice and dark with my gear: Light pollution map
You also need to pick a right time of the year. There are some apps that help with that. Otherwise the galactic centre might not be visible. Last time I tried astrophotography was back in August and I had to go out soon after sunset. Later on the centre wasn't visible.
10-22-2019, 06:04 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It is, very nice!
10-22-2019, 07:02 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I do use apps to help me find the best times to photograph the galactic center. When I first tried it in March, I had to get up around an hour or so before sunrise. I noticed then that Jupiter was right in the middle of the Milky Way. Now I see Jupiter in the western sky not long after sunset. If I want to find a dark spot to photograph our galaxy's core, I'd better hurry if I don't want to wait until the end of next winter!
10-22-2019, 07:16 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I do use apps to help me find the best times to photograph the galactic center. When I first tried it in March, I had to get up around an hour or so before sunrise. I noticed then that Jupiter was right in the middle of the Milky Way. Now I see Jupiter in the western sky not long after sunset. If I want to find a dark spot to photograph our galaxy's core, I'd better hurry if I don't want to wait until the end of next winter!
I don't have a smart phone, but my wife downloaded an app on hers called Star Walk. I haven't spent much time with it, but it seems to help identify what you're looking at in the night sky.

---------- Post added 10-22-19 at 07:18 PM ----------

That certainly helps; I would have to drive a ways to see skies as dark as you apparently have. This picture shows what I'm up against.
Nice photo, by the way. What's the water source?
10-23-2019, 08:05 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mahanpots Quote
I don't have a smart phone, but my wife downloaded an app on hers called Star Walk. I haven't spent much time with it, but it seems to help identify what you're looking at in the night sky.

---------- Post added 10-22-19 at 07:18 PM ----------

Nice photo, by the way. What's the water source?
Long Island Sound.
10-24-2019, 07:30 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

You have a week to a week and a half left for the real good portion of the core to be visible. Might get a small portion of it in november but not like July/August/September
10-24-2019, 08:42 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice shot, thanks for sharing.
10-25-2019, 04:34 PM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aitrus3 Quote
You have a week to a week and a half left for the real good portion of the core to be visible. Might get a small portion of it in november but not like July/August/September
The only problem with July/August/September in Connecticut is the level of haze and humidity in the atmosphere. I'll see what I can do if I get a good night over the next week and a half. Thanks for the advice!