Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Experienced Truck
Lens: DA 18-55 WR Camera: K10D Photo Location: Arlington, Washington ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/90s Aperture: F5.6 
Posted By: Racer X 69, 10-24-2019, 06:17 PM

This is a 1976 Kenworth W900, with a custom built sleeper. This truck has over 5 million miles on it.

Views: 177
10-24-2019, 07:53 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice truck. Wow 5 million miles!
10-25-2019, 07:31 AM   #3
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ghosteclipse Quote
Nice truck. Wow 5 million miles!
Thanks for the comment.

Actually I shot that photo 9 years ago, and the couple who own it are "hobby truckers", both retired.. They only run late spring to early fall, so the truck likely has another 500,000 miles on it since then.
10-27-2019, 02:22 AM - 1 Like   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Experienced Truck
The next line reads... For sale, one careful lady owner, genuine low miles...

10-27-2019, 05:51 AM   #5

Nice truck and photo.

I have seen here on TV about groups who search for old trucks to bring them back on the (show)road. Good so, that was very interesting and nice trucks.

Best regards,
Birk
10-27-2019, 06:35 AM   #6
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Birk Quote
Nice truck and photo.

I have seen here on TV about groups who search for old trucks to bring them back on the (show)road. Good so, that was very interesting and nice trucks.

Best regards,
Birk
Thank you for the compliment Birk!
10-27-2019, 06:40 AM   #7
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
The next line reads... For sale, one careful lady owner, genuine low miles...
The couple that owns and operates that truck is a husband/wife team, in their 70's, and she drives as much as he does.
10-27-2019, 07:34 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great shot of this imposing beast!

I would never have dreamed these things could accumulate that many miles.

It's humbling to realize that although I've been on this Earth 73 years, there are so many things I don't know!

Jer

10-27-2019, 07:52 AM   #9
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
The couple that owns and operates that truck is a husband/wife team
That explains the monster sleep cab part... a couples home from home.
10-27-2019, 07:57 AM   #10
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
I would never have dreamed these things could accumulate that many miles
I guess why not if they're properly maintained, serviced, correct filters and oils.

Remember these folk are also professional drivers, with their livelihood tied up in these rigs, they're gonna look after 'em.
10-27-2019, 08:04 AM - 1 Like   #11
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Great shot of this imposing beast!

I would never have dreamed these things could accumulate that many miles.

It's humbling to realize that although I've been on this Earth 73 years, there are so many things I don't know!

Jer
Thanks for the compliment Jer!

As for the huge amount of miles, before the advent of emission control systems, over the road trucks could accumulate very high miles. The engines are designed to be rebuilt many times, often via an inframe rebuild, where the engine is left in the chassis, and components are simply replaced. The pistons run in sleeves, or liners, so the head is removed and reconditioned, and while off the pistons and liners are removed. The crankshaft is checked, and if serviceable, main bearing are simply "rolled" into place and the bearing caps reinstalled.

Of course proper maintenance is paramount, regular oil and coolant changes, etc.

The chassis is the same, regular maintenance, and inspection, and rebuild components as needed. Spring eye bushings, springs, steering, transmission and differential(s) are very robust, and can give many miles of trouble free service, and rebuilt as needed.

Of course the current trucks, with the emission control systems, the engines run much hotter than before, and suffer from premature failure as a result. I suspect that over time the manufacturers will get them to be more reliable, and be able to extend the service life, but I doubt that modern trucks will ever accumulate the kind of miles older trucks did.
10-27-2019, 08:21 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

Good point, Racer X69, about a number of truckers rebuilding older trucks. Much less initial expense of used vs new, also advantages with all the things you indicate (rebuild an older truck that has been well maintained and has a strong foundation with which to work with) and I understand that many of these older trucks work just as hard, as their new counterpart, for operators, with significantly less expense...and less downtime...due to the reliability factor....and parts are readily available. So...they do the same job, in many cases better reliability and less cost per mile than 'newer'...and less monthly payment...or cash outlay.