Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Bare Shelby Cobra Replica
Lens: M.Zuiko 14-42 Camera: E-PL7 Photo Location: Wickenburg, AZ ISO: 200 
Posted By: grog85361, 10-24-2019, 08:03 PM

Bare polished body on Shelby Cobra replica. I wouldn't want to have to keep this shined up!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
E-PL7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
E-PL7  Photo 

Views: 1,209
10-24-2019, 08:05 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Who made the parts, Superformance? I don't know too many replica Cobra sources that do the bodies in aluminum.
10-24-2019, 08:13 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
Who made the parts, Superformance? I don't know too many replica Cobra sources that do the bodies in aluminum.
I don't know. I didn't think to ask. Pretty unique!
10-24-2019, 08:21 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I think the chrome body is probably a vinyl wrap.

10-24-2019, 08:23 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
If so, it's a pretty smooth job.
10-24-2019, 08:39 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by grog85361 Quote
I don't know. I didn't think to ask. Pretty unique!
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Kirkham Motorsports - they’re not parts. They’re the real deal. They make the original rollers (bodies on frames ready for engines) for the authentic Shelby continuation Cobras as well as their own rollers and complete cars powered as you want (usually by ROUSH). These bodies are aluminum like the original AC bodies,hand formed on the original body bucks, which David Kirkham bought from AC Cars in the mid 90’s when he contracted the manufacturing. They’re real. The stripes on the pictured car are the unpolished bare aluminum, so they are a reverse, not applied.

They’re indistinguishable from the original because they are the original! You get an MSO when you buy one, so they’re actually a new car, not really a kit car.

See the Gallery 289 Street | KMS 427SC polished and buffed body as in the above image - yours for a mere $250,000.

Last edited by monochrome; 10-26-2019 at 08:58 AM.
10-24-2019, 10:25 PM - 1 Like   #7

Photos: Gallery
Thats pretty cool. I like that they also make a Daytona Coupe replica as well

10-24-2019, 11:30 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Kirkham Motorsports - they’re not parts. They’re the real deal. They make the original rollers (bodies on frames ready for engines) for the authentic Shelby continuation Cobras as well as their own rollers and complete cars powered as you want (usually by ROUSH). These bodies are aluminum like the original AC bodies,hand formed aluminum on the original body bucks, which David Kirkham bought from AC Cars in the mid 90’s when he contracted the manufacturing. They’re real. The stripes on the pictured car are the unpolished bare aluminum, so they are a reverse, not applied.

They’re indistinguishable from the original because they are the original! You get an MSO when you buy one, so they’re actually a new car, not really a kit car.

See the Gallery 289 Street | KMS 427SC polished and buffed body as in the above image - yours for a mere $250,000.
They did an excellent job, no doubt about it. From the picture I assumed it was a wrap, which goes to show you, you should never assume...as it...
10-25-2019, 08:47 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I used the word "parts" because I didn't want to use the word "kit". I thought Shelby American had some similar agreement with Superformance as well. I didn't know that Kirham was so involved with Shelby American as well.

I had thoughts about a Factory Five replica but without the side pipes and probably something other than a V8 under the hood. Never got even close to pulling the trigger on that one and at this point I doubt it would ever happen for me.
10-26-2019, 09:10 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I used the word "parts" because I didn't want to use the word "kit". I thought Shelby American had some similar agreement with Superformance as well. I didn't know that Kirham was so involved with Shelby American as well.

I had thoughts about a Factory Five replica but without the side pipes and probably something other than a V8 under the hood. Never got even close to pulling the trigger on that one and at this point I doubt it would ever happen for me.
At retirement I have saved the money for a 289 Street of some sort. Can’t say I will actually pull the trigger - they might be illegal* by then - but I can if I want to. Been planning for this since 1986, originally to get an original, but they are insane now. Pushing $800,000.

Failing that I would have a 67/68 Mustang GT A-body built up as a Bullitt replica. If you have a frame you can can actually buy all the body panels (and virtually every part) new these days since Ford sold the presses and molds to restoration manufacturing companies after the financial crisis. Even the tires are molded and/or hand cut by restoration companies.

* I don’t retire until 2025. Who knows if a 260/289 gasoline engine will be legal to run by then.

Last edited by monochrome; 10-26-2019 at 09:40 AM.
10-26-2019, 11:30 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

At retirement I have saved the money for a 289 Street of some sort. Can’t say I will actually pull the trigger - they might be illegal* by then - but I can if I want to. Been planning for this since 1986, originally to get an original, but they are insane now. Pushing $800,000.

Failing that I would have a 67/68 Mustang GT A-body built up as a Bullitt replica. If you have a frame you can can actually buy all the body panels (and virtually every part) new these days since Ford sold the presses and molds to restoration manufacturing companies after the financial crisis. Even the tires are molded and/or hand cut by restoration companies.

* I don’t retire until 2025. Who knows if a 260/289 gasoline engine will be legal to run by then.
Be aware a 260 block does not mate to the same bell housing. The 289 through 351 are different
10-26-2019, 11:49 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Be aware a 260 block does not mate to the same bell housing. The 289 through 351 are different
The 289 is the better engine anyway. The 6-bolt bell housing offers more trans flexibility as well. Really though I do want to stay very close* to the cars that were in the movie. By the time I get to do this either I’ll have everything completely figured out or the build shop will keep me on the right track

* i know this has been done 100’s of times, but I don’t care. They make 10’s of thousands of Corvettes (much easier to just buy one, and likely cheaper too) so hundreds of resto.replicar Mustangs is nothing.

Last edited by monochrome; 10-26-2019 at 11:55 AM.
10-26-2019, 02:39 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The 289 is the better engine anyway. The 6-bolt bell housing offers more trans flexibility as well. Really though I do want to stay very close* to the cars that were in the movie. By the time I get to do this either I’ll have everything completely figured out or the build shop will keep me on the right track

* i know this has been done 100’s of times, but I don’t care. They make 10’s of thousands of Corvettes (much easier to just buy one, and likely cheaper too) so hundreds of resto.replicar Mustangs is nothing.
Go to ford racing and get a crate 302. Lots of horses for a good price
10-26-2019, 02:43 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My plan was a Nissan RB25 out of a 2wd Skyline with the factory manual transmission. Nissan "burger" badges on the front and rear in place of the Shelby or AC badges. It's a replica, do something fun.
10-26-2019, 03:52 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

An amazingly perfect looking body!!