Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Storehouse window
Lens: Tamron 17-50 f2.8 Camera: K3 ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/160s Aperture: F10 
Posted By: RobG, 10-25-2019, 05:47 AM

This old storehouse in Niigata has been converted into a factory and showroom for a company making fermented products like kouji (rice yeast), soy sauce, vinegar, dashi and pickles. The company is called Furumachi Kouji Seizousho (Furumachi Kouji Manufacturers).

Storehouse window
by RobGeraghty, on Flickr
Views: 295
10-25-2019, 07:45 AM   #2
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
This old storehouse in Niigata has been converted into a factory and showroom for a company making fermented products like kouji (rice yeast), soy sauce, vinegar, dashi and pickles. The company is called Furumachi Kouji Seizousho (Furumachi Kouji Manufacturers).
interesting detail in this photo - itself a good reason to reuse rather than rebuild.
10-25-2019, 09:16 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Never seen a window like that before. Nice.
10-25-2019, 09:20 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Very cool detail, thanks for sharing.

10-25-2019, 09:55 AM   #5
Pentaxian

if you turn it 90 degree it will look like a film camera view finder...
10-25-2019, 10:38 AM   #6
Forum Member

The walls of that building are thicker than the walls of our house, which Racer says are 18" thick. We don't have any windows like that though.
10-25-2019, 09:58 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
interesting detail in this photo - itself a good reason to reuse rather than rebuild.
Yes! It also associates the contemporary products with tradition, and that's a good selling point.

QuoteOriginally posted by swip Quote
Never seen a window like that before. Nice.
Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by Archimedes the Dog Quote
Very cool detail, thanks for sharing.
Thanks! I discovered this place by accident and just after I returned from Japan it was featured on NHK (the national broadcaster).

QuoteOriginally posted by Vasyl Quote
if you turn it 90 degree it will look like a film camera view finder...
I didn't notice that!

QuoteOriginally posted by Brand X Quote
The walls of that building are thicker than the walls of our house, which Racer says are 18" thick. We don't have any windows like that though.
The walls of Japanese storehouses are built thick for insulation to protect what is inside from heat, cold, fire and typhoons. The window shutters are thick for the same reasons. Traditional Japanese houses often burned down, but the storehouses often survived. When I first saw windows like these in Sawara, I thought that it was mainly to protect from typhoons, but I have since learned that fire was one of the main things that they were trying to protect the contents of the building from, aside from the weather. By contrast, traditional Japanese houses in lowland areas were poorly insulated from the cold, and were built to be easily opened up to allow breezes in summer. Traditional houses in mountainous areas had thatched roofs about 30cm (1 foot) thick, to keep off snow and rain.
10-26-2019, 12:11 AM   #8
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

A really interesting architectural shot, Iíve never seen windows and shutters like that before.

10-27-2019, 06:47 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
A really interesting architectural shot, Iíve never seen windows and shutters like that before.
Thanks! Neither had I - before I went to Japan. It was interesting to learn about the history of storehouses in Japan.
10-27-2019, 06:59 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
The walls of Japanese storehouses are built thick for insulation to protect what is inside from heat, cold, fire and typhoons. The window shutters are thick for the same reasons. Traditional Japanese houses often burned down, but the storehouses often survived. When I first saw windows like these in Sawara, I thought that it was mainly to protect from typhoons, but I have since learned that fire was one of the main things that they were trying to protect the contents of the building from, aside from the weather. By contrast, traditional Japanese houses in lowland areas were poorly insulated from the cold, and were built to be easily opened up to allow breezes in summer. Traditional houses in mountainous areas had thatched roofs about 30cm (1 foot) thick, to keep off snow and rain.
That's a pretty cool window, I was wondering if it was purely aesthetic or if it also served some function. Thanks for the added info
10-27-2019, 09:07 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
That's a pretty cool window, I was wondering if it was purely aesthetic or if it also served some function. Thanks for the added info
You're welcome! When I first saw them, it was almost typhoon season, so I assumed that they were serious storm shutters, but I was wrong (partially).