Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
.... continuing on with Old Photos
Posted By: Dewman, 10-25-2019, 10:39 AM

This is my maternal grandparents with the first of their brood that would eventually grow to 10 girls and 1 boy! My grandmother (Beatrice) was 4' 11" tall, grandpa Charlie was 6' 2". My mother is sitting next to my grandpa. She was born in 1911 and.... she looks to be about 11 or 12 in the photo, so this was taken circa 1923? I have no idea what kind of car that was, but I'm surprised to see them in it. They were very poor dirt farmers in eastern Oklahoma and I just can't imagine them having enough money to buy a car, and one that "new." But, Grandpa Charlie was known as a wheeler-dealer.... and one of the best moonshiners in the holler. I can remember listening to my Mom telling of when Grandpa Charlie would take her with him when he would go out to his still far back in the woods and she's sleep on a pallet on the ground all night while he collected his "drippin's."

In today's world, they's lock him up for child abuse and who knows what else. Times sure have changed.... or have they?

Last edited by Dewman; 01-28-2020 at 01:30 PM.
Views: 429
10-25-2019, 10:48 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Very evocative shot.....Lovely old photo
10-25-2019, 10:55 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow, Dewey, they were almost out of room did grandpa Charlie have to wheel and deal for a bus? Great look at a by gone era!!
10-26-2019, 07:43 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
This is my maternal grandparents with the first of their brood that would eventually grow to 10 girls and 1 boy! My grandmother (Beatrice) was 4' 11" tall, grandpa Charlie was 6' 2". My mother is sitting next to my grandpa. She was born in 1911 and.... she looks to be about 11 or 12 in the photo, so this was taken circa 1923? I have no idea what kind of car that was, but I'm surprised to see them in it. They were very poor dirt farmers in eastern Oklahoma and I just can't imagine them having enough money to buy a car, and one that "new." But, Grandpa Charlie was known as a wheeler-dealer.... and one of the best moonshiners in the holler. I can remember listening to my Mom telling of when Grandpa Charlie would take her with him when he would go out to his still far back in the woods and she's sleep on a pallet on the ground all night while he collected his "drippin's."

In today's world, they's lock him up for child abuse and who knows what else. Times sure have changed.... or have they?
This was the old days, when people were still learning how to make cars. They didn't have seat belts or other safety measures of today, but think how far they had come in lifetime of the parents!

01-07-2020, 02:31 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote

11 kids????
01-07-2020, 07:49 AM   #6
Total n00b Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Photogoof Quote
11 kids????
It's not that surprising. Wasn't until the 50s/60s that these size of families really started to stop happening. My mom was the 2nd of 11 and born in 1950. When you didn't know if your kids would live to adulthood, or needed more hands on the farm, a large family was needed. There's a story of either my grandfather or great-grandfather getting busted for having a still as well.

It's always fascinating looking at old photos like these, especially when it's of family whom you only knew/remember from later in life and seeing them as kids or young adults. Seeing a photo of my grandparents, guessing shortly after WWII, I'd have never recognized them. Was a photo of them sitting in a restaurant and I'd swear they were movie stars or something. Never something I'd have associated with my grandparents as I knew them in their 70s/80s/90s after they'd already had 11 kids and I was the 6th or 7th grandkid already. (There's 10 years between my brother and I, though my youngest uncle is only about 4 years older then my brother.) Always had trouble picturing my grandfather in the Navy, as I knew him as portly, but in the photo he was a very good looking young man with a strong chiseled jaw. My grandmother was a beautiful young woman and I've a pair of twin cousins that are dead ringers for her. And since they are actresses, it goes to show that my grandmother would have had some potential.

>Sorry for rambling a bit there into some unrelated areas.

Last edited by Gorgarath; 01-07-2020 at 07:50 AM. Reason: Apology
01-07-2020, 07:56 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great old photo Dewman, and a great story to go with it! I have similar photos inherited from my family from their days in western North Dakota. Despite being a hard life, I remember all of my grandparent's brothers and sisters from my childhood and how good humored they all were and the great stories they told.

01-07-2020, 08:07 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The story and connections definitely bring extra life to an interesting Photo.