Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

San Francisco 1970
Posted By: reh321, 10-28-2019, 04:43 PM

During my short internship, I actually went to San Francisco only one time even though I was staying just across the Bay in Hayward. Residents told me that parking in the city was the biggest problem, so I drove to "Golden Gate" Park, which had lots of parking for the swimmers, then rode the trolley across the peninsula. I'm not sure what happened to the slides I took at the park, but this shows the trolley at the "TransBay Terminal", the place where I got off it to wander around downtown.

Attached Images

Views: 906
10-31-2019, 10:53 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great picture! Love the nostalgia and you just can't beat the old film look.

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Unfortunately for Pentax, they depend a lot on us old guys. They need to get some younger customers, but there also needs to be a photo company the caters to us too.

BTW: it was some of the comments in this thread that led to the "comparison shot".
Uh, I think I AM one of the "younger customers"... I also happen to like the "little guy" when it comes to products.

11-01-2019, 12:34 AM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Oh! It's an electric tram not a cablecar. An interesting piece of history! I don't think there were any trams in San Fran when I first went there in 1982.
11-01-2019, 06:51 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ThomSirveaux Quote
Great picture! Love the nostalgia and you just can't beat the old film look.

Uh, I think I AM one of the "younger customers"... I also happen to like the "little guy" when it comes to products.
Thank you for your comments.

You are the future of Pentax.
11-01-2019, 06:56 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
Oh! It's an electric tram not a cablecar. An interesting piece of history! I don't think there were any trams in San Fran when I first went there in 1982.

In 1970 San Francisco had three types of rail transportation
* cable car
* inter-city like this
* BART intra-city.

This ran, as far as I am aware. only between downtown and the sea-coast at Golden Gate Park. I parked at Golden Gate and then ran this into downtown. Honestly, I don't know whether it still ran in 1982.

11-01-2019, 03:19 PM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

In 1970 San Francisco had three types of rail transportation
* cable car
* inter-city like this
* BART intra-city.

This ran, as far as I am aware. only between downtown and the sea-coast at Golden Gate Park. I parked at Golden Gate and then ran this into downtown. Honestly, I don't know whether it still ran in 1982.
Thanks! I didn't know that the BART was that old. I've been to Golden Gate Park twice, but drove there both times, so I didn't realise the intercity existed. Canberra only just got a light rail system, even though it was designed (by an American) at a time when trams were in extensive use in Sydney and Melbourne.
11-01-2019, 03:42 PM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks! I didn't know that the BART was that old. I've been to Golden Gate Park twice, but drove there both times, so I didn't realise the intercity existed. Canberra only just got a light rail system, even though it was designed (by an American) at a time when trams were in extensive use in Sydney and Melbourne.
I'm not positive if these "Street Cars" still run in San Francisco - they ran through a tunnel, which hopefully still exists, so I'd expect a "progressive" area like they are to revive this service if they did discontinue it. I'm not sure why I took the slide below {I did live in the building at the center of the image, a private residence hall on the campus of CalState Hayward}, but the area behind the chain-link fence is BART in the same time period {it may have still been in testing at the tiime}
Attached Images

11-01-2019, 03:51 PM   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I'm not positive if these "Street Cars" still run in San Francisco - they ran through a tunnel, which hopefully still exists, so I'd expect a "progressive" area like they are to revive this service if they did discontinue it. I'm not sure why I took the slide below {I did live in the building at the center of the image, a private residence hall on the campus of CalState Hayward}, but the area behind the chain-link fence is BART in the same time period {it may have still been in testing at the tiime}
Impressive! There's still few fully automated train systems in the world. Most of the ones I've been on were between airport terminals. There's an automated light rail to Odaiba in Tokyo. I think the 360kmh maglev in Shanghai is automated?

11-01-2019, 04:31 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Impressive! There's still few fully automated train systems in the world. Most of the ones I've been on were between airport terminals. There's an automated light rail to Odaiba in Tokyo. I think the 360kmh maglev in Shanghai is automated?
Many of them are more automated than the cities admit - in many cases, I believe the operator is really needed only in case of 'emergency' {unanticipated condition}
11-01-2019, 06:12 PM   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Many of them are more automated than the cities admit - in many cases, I believe the operator is really needed only in case of 'emergency' {unanticipated condition}
True. I saw on NHK that the Japanese are planning to introduce automated trains on the Yamanote line, which is the busiest train line in the world, carrying about a million passengers every day. There are also automated freight trains here in Australia. I think it's surprising that there haven't been fully autonomous trains in widespread use before now.
11-01-2019, 07:22 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Original Poster
True. I saw on NHK that the Japanese are planning to introduce automated trains on the Yamanote line, which is the busiest train line in the world, carrying about a million passengers every day. There are also automated freight trains here in Australia. I think it's surprising that there haven't been fully autonomous trains in widespread use before now.
I’m not at all surprised about the automated trains in Japan, but am about Australia. Automated trains require a restricted/isolated right-of-way, and that would be expensive in remote areas of your country.
11-01-2019, 08:02 PM   #26
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I’m not at all surprised about the automated trains in Japan, but am about Australia. Automated trains require a restricted/isolated right-of-way, and that would be expensive in remote areas of your country.
It's difficult on most lines in Japan too, because there are many level crossings. The first automated freight trains here were on a line built by Rio Tinto to carry iron ore to the coast. I don't know what they've done to prevent the trains from hitting vehicles which fail to leave a level crossing.

I should add that the Shinkansen (bullet train) is automated to some degree, and there are absolutely zero level crossings on the main lines. I think I did see some level crossings on the Yamagata Shinkansen, but it doesn't carry the number of trains that the main lines do, and the speed is down to that of a normal express train at those points. Many of the Shinkansen lines are raised off the ground so it's impossible for anyone or anything to wander across them. The Shinkansen has technology which automatically slows the train if the gap to the train in front gets close to a safe braking minimum. High speed sections are always dual, so a head-on collision is impossible. Again, I think some sections of the Yamagata line in the mountains were single line at a very reduced speed. The new Chuo line will be mostly underground and dual, because at 500kmh there's no margin for error.

Last edited by RobG; 11-01-2019 at 08:09 PM.