Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 32 Likes Search this Thread
12 Likes  
Dancer
Posted By: Angel Perez, 10-28-2019, 05:32 PM

Here is one of my favorite shots with a ballet dancer. I love shooting dancers and I hope to create a whole series of shots with dancers in gowns. I was inspired by the NY Dance Project photos Ken Browar and Deborah Ory. If you haven't seen them, be prepared to have your breath taken away.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 

Last edited by Angel Perez; 10-28-2019 at 06:35 PM.
Views: 1,472
10-30-2019, 11:30 AM - 1 Like   #16

Wow, great portrait!

10-30-2019, 01:11 PM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That looks like such a dynamic pose that I'm a little baffled by the exposure time of only 1/160s. Did you use rear-curtain sync for the flash?
10-30-2019, 02:19 PM - 1 Like   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Angel Perez Quote
Here is one of my favorite shots with a ballet dancer. I love shooting dancers and I hope to create a whole series of shots with dancers in gowns. I was inspired by the NY Dance Project photos Ken Browar and Deborah Ory. If you haven't seen them, be prepared to have your breath taken away.
Beautiful shot!
10-30-2019, 02:31 PM - 1 Like   #19

Nice one !

10-30-2019, 02:45 PM - 1 Like   #20

Photos: Gallery
Nice portrait, I like the sense of motion in her.
10-30-2019, 03:28 PM - 1 Like   #21
Veteran Member

Great portrait. I've tried this kind of shoot last year. Still I need to learn a lot.
10-30-2019, 05:31 PM - 1 Like   #22

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
This is a fine shot, I know just how difficult it is to capture this sort of imagery with minimal equipment.

I had do a shoot recently with a ballet company... no flash allowed in the venue.
Yes in a concert setting, no flash photography. Which is fine if you have excellent lighting you can make some great pictures. However, you will be pushing your camera to the limits. ISO 1600-3200 is the norm with a shutter speed of at least 320-400. F2.8 or 3.2 Yet it is so rewarding. Just don't show the bad shots because there will be plenty.

Luckily for me this was studio work, so I could fire away.

---------- Post added 10-30-19 at 05:32 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by duowang Quote
Wow, great portrait!
Thanks!

---------- Post added 10-30-19 at 05:44 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ehrwien Quote
That looks like such a dynamic pose that I'm a little baffled by the exposure time of only 1/160s. Did you use rear-curtain sync for the flash?
Nothing to be baffled. Part of this shot is understanding the inverse square law the other is also understanding your settings and flash duration. When you do studio work you build your own light. So my camera settings of 5.6, ISO 100 and a shutter speed of 160 in a room will reveal a completely black exposure. In other words the sensor is practically not recording any available light. So when the flash fires, that is what my sensor is exposing for. Speedlights and Monolights have a short flash duration. For instance at 1/4 power my flash duration will be 1/2700 of a sec. That is all the the sensor is recording, that split second of light. So that is how it is freezing the action. One of my heros or should I say "She-ros" is Lois Greenfield. She shoots with a Hasselblad and her shutter speed is only 1/125 if that. Again she is making sure her settings don't record the ambient light and then she fires away and creates some of the most amazing images I have ever seen.

This is why we need to learn our cameras. I was talking to another photographer and he thought I was using High Speed Sync. In studio that would be completely unnecessary. Outdoors, that might be a tool you may want to use.

I hope this helps.

---------- Post added 10-30-19 at 05:46 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by taktoon Quote
Great portrait. I've tried this kind of shoot last year. Still I need to learn a lot.
We all need to learn a lot. I gave a little more info in another response. I hope it helps. If not, just keep bugging me. I will gladly share as much info as I can. We are here to help each other.

---------- Post added 10-30-19 at 05:47 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kaladran Quote
Nice portrait, I like the sense of motion in her.
Thanks!

11-01-2019, 12:53 PM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Angel Perez Quote
Beautiful! I have a love of dance photography. Of all portrait photography out there, dance is really the only one that inspires me to want to try capturing.
11-01-2019, 01:26 PM - 1 Like   #24
Pentaxian

Lovely photograph. My mother was a dancer, had a studio...did ballet, jazz, tap, etc. You've caught the essence of dance...very well with this photograph.
11-01-2019, 01:50 PM - 1 Like   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow, this is great, love that light!!!
11-01-2019, 06:36 PM   #26

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Archimedes the Dog Quote
Wow, this is great, love that light!!!
Thanks!

---------- Post added 11-01-19 at 06:37 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Lovely photograph. My mother was a dancer, had a studio...did ballet, jazz, tap, etc. You've caught the essence of dance...very well with this photograph.
I am glad this photo spoke to you on so many levels.

Lord knows we need a boost from time to time.

---------- Post added 11-01-19 at 06:37 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I am glad this photo spoke to you on so many levels.

Lord knows we need a boost from time to time.

---------- Post added 11-01-19 at 06:39 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by aitrus3 Quote
Beautiful! I have a love of dance photography. Of all portrait photography out there, dance is really the only one that inspires me to want to try capturing.
I hear you. There is something special about dancers. It's almost like they possess this secret to the meaning of life.
I hope you are pursuing your dream.