Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Then-and-Now Mishawaka Ave bridge
Posted By: reh321, 10-29-2019, 08:43 AM

As a result of a conversation yesterday, I went out this morning and took the second picture, coming as close as I could to the location of the first picture {which was taken in April 1978}.

In 1978, I was a 30-year-old staying with my parents while I looked for a job, having {finally!} left grad school with my second Master Degree; today I am retired, at the other end of my degree. Unseen here is that the underpass has "changed ownership", since the Canadian National Railroad has absorbed its subsidiary, the Grand Trunk Railroad, which passed over the underpass in 1978. Today the street is marked for a bicycle lane, when it was hardly marked at all. Today the "New Sample St Bridge" carrys lots of traffic {see signage in background}. The signage has changed. Cigarettes no longer support billboards {and now there is only one billboard}. The neighborhood feels cleaner than it did 41 years ago. But in general, the neighborhood and surroundings have changed remarkedly little in the 41 years between the two photos.

Attached Images

Views: 345
10-29-2019, 08:54 AM   #2
Pentaxian

This is a fun concept and well-executed. Interesting to see that the graffiti is still there after all these years, or at least it looks it to my eyes, just faded.
10-29-2019, 10:17 AM   #3
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Archimedes the Dog Quote
This is a fun concept and well-executed. Interesting to see that the graffiti is still there after all these years, or at least it looks it to my eyes, just faded.
Of course my eyes are much older than yours, but I would agree that some of the graffiti seems to still there - perhaps the city fathers have decided to tolerate a certain amount of it - cleaning all graffiti, even in better areas {this is a few blocks from what was the best H.S. when I attended a 'lesser H.S.'} may strain the budget too much.
10-29-2019, 05:53 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
To my eye, in the 70's you had a thriving couple of businesses past the bridge. Now it's just a freeway access ramp.

10-29-2019, 06:43 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
To my eye, in the 70's you had a thriving couple of businesses past the bridge. Now it's just a freeway access ramp.
Good point!
10-29-2019, 08:31 PM   #6
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by IgorZ Quote
Good point!
The "Freeway" is 'just' the what was called the "New Sample Street Bridge" {but it does carry S.R 23 which is the reason for the green signage}. I think perhaps the road was widened, which would reduce the amount of local businesses in the area {besides the mortality in small business from Amazon and other 'nationalization' of businesses}. It certainly does have a different feel that I cannot put my finger on since my wife and I have been farther south in the state over most of the time.

In any case, I thank both you for looking and helping me to think about how the view has changed.
10-29-2019, 10:08 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I like the comparison. I cannot think of a picture where I could make such a comparison.
10-30-2019, 05:13 AM   #8
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mroeder75 Quote
I like the comparison. I cannot think of a picture where I could make such a comparison.
I went out and took the photo yesterday morning as a result of a comment on the previous day on comparisons; it worked out better than I thought it would. I have taken comparison shots before of a train station, but the location changed so much that I could not get so exactly the shot from so close the same angle.