Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Spotted Tail Quoll
Lens: DA*300 Camera: K3 Photo Location: Victoria, Australia ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/250s Aperture: F4 
Posted By: RobG, 11-01-2019, 12:48 AM

Spotted Tail Quoll
by RobGeraghty, on Flickr
Views: 395
11-01-2019, 01:08 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Something has his attention
11-01-2019, 01:14 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Something has his attention
Reminds me of the story of my brother being followed by a Quoll in a cage - it paced up and down and he walked up and down. It turns out that the Quoll (in a University) was being fed white lab rats and my brother was wearing white tennis shoes at the time.
11-01-2019, 05:25 AM - 1 Like   #4
PJ1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We have too few of these. The only one I have see outside a zoo was roadkill on Thunderbolt's Way (unfortunately).

11-01-2019, 05:29 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great capture Rob. I love the fact that you are able to photograph and share so many of your native species.
11-01-2019, 05:30 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Good shot! I have the feeling I can touch its wet nose. Not knowing about this specie, though, I'm not sure it would be safe to do so.
11-01-2019, 05:49 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
We have too few of these. The only one I have see outside a zoo was roadkill on Thunderbolt's Way (unfortunately).
I saw one in the wild at Girraween in about 1988. I'm still hoping to see Native Quolls at Mulligan's Flat here in Canberra.

QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
Great capture Rob. I love the fact that you are able to photograph and share so many of your native species.
This one was unfortunately in captivity but they have almost been driven to extinction by Foxes and cats.

QuoteOriginally posted by Bertrand3000 Quote
Good shot! I have the feeling I can touch its wet nose. Not knowing about this specie, though, I'm not sure it would be safe to do so.
They're a carnivore so possibly not.
11-01-2019, 05:52 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Great pic Rob! We only have Possums here, and these guys look like possums on steroids..

I read the Cane Toad is also doing a number on their population....the Quolls eat them and are poisoned, Talk about getting it from all angles!

al

11-01-2019, 06:10 AM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by brewmaster15 Quote
Great pic Rob! We only have Possums here, and these guys look like possums on steroids..
I read the Cane Toad is also doing a number on their population....the Quolls eat them and are poisoned, Talk about getting it from all angles!
Yes, the cane toad has devastated wildlife in Northern Australia.
11-01-2019, 06:17 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Wonderful capture. I've never heard of this species before so it's interesting seeing one and getting to learn a few things about them from reading the thread.
11-01-2019, 06:34 PM - 1 Like   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WillWeaverRVA Quote
Wonderful capture. I've never heard of this species before so it's interesting seeing one and getting to learn a few things about them from reading the thread.
You're welcome! The Spotted Tail Quolls used to be called "Tiger Cats" but they weren't cats and weren't tigers! They are marsupials in the family Dasyuridae, which also includes the Tasmanian Devil on the large end and Antechinus, Dunnarts and Planigales on the small end. The small Dasyurids are the size of mice, but are ferocious predators. Since the arrival of Europeans, Quoll numbers have crashed due to habitat loss, the extinction of many small marsupials, competition with cats and foxes, and being killed by humans who saw them as a threat to their chickens. The northern population of Native Quoll was reasonably secure until the introduction of the cane toad. The southern species are almost extinct. Here in Canberra, Native Quolls (not Spotted Tail Quolls) have been reintroduced from Tasmania to a 984 hectare (2,400 acre) predator-proof enclosure at Mulligan's Flat. They are breeding, which is a very good sign! I have yet to get a photo of the Quolls at Mulligan's Flat, although I've got photos of many other native animals. It just goes to show that if we can provide the animals with native habitat and keep out the ferals like Cats and Foxes, the native animals can do very well.

---------- Post added 02-11-19 at 12:35 PM ----------

Here's another photo I posted last year of the whole Quoll.

Spotted Tail Quoll
by RobGeraghty, on Flickr