Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 26 Likes Search this Thread
8 Likes  
B52 Stratofortress
Posted By: RobG, 11-01-2019, 02:10 AM

B52 Stratofortress
by RobGeraghty, on Flickr

This aircraft had flown from Guam. It did two passes, then flew back to Guam! That's one heck of a range.
Views: 2,366
11-02-2019, 03:34 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
Nah, Straya, mate!
Hee hee. Bewdy, mate!!

11-02-2019, 04:08 AM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by K2 to K50 Quote
Hee hee. Bewdy, mate!!
No worries!
11-02-2019, 05:21 AM   #18
Pentaxian

I always wondered how they managed the range with the number of engines!
They also refuel the airplanes.
I don't know if they still do it, but tankers were once based at Grisson Airbase about a hundred miles south of here.
11-02-2019, 05:47 AM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
They also refuel the airplanes.
I don't know if they still do it, but tankers were once based at Grisson Airbase about a hundred miles south of here.
Yep, the long lasting KC135, which had the same origin as the 707! I think there's tankers in Guam as well, but I also think the B52 I photographed flew Guam to Avalon return without refuelling.

---------- Post added 02-11-19 at 10:49 PM ----------

PS There was a KC135 as a static display that day as well. They have been re-engined.

11-02-2019, 09:16 PM   #20

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ksmoon Quote
The flight was used at the Korea War. It is a life-long aircraft.
Nice catch!
Not quite understanding this comment as the BUFF didn't enter the inventory until the Korean War had ended. USAF used the piston-engined B-29 and upgraded B-50 varient in Korea - until the MiG-15 proved it could intercept them.

B-52 was used extensively in Vietnam as well as the Gulf, Afghan and Iraq wars. Only 2 other military aircraft have had a 50+ year service life - the venerable C-130 cargo and Soviet TU-95 Bear strategic bomber. Both were turboprop powered.
11-02-2019, 11:28 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pipemajor Quote
Not quite understanding this comment as the BUFF didn't enter the inventory until the Korean War had ended. USAF used the piston-engined B-29 and upgraded B-50 varient in Korea - until the MiG-15 proved it could intercept them.

B-52 was used extensively in Vietnam as well as the Gulf, Afghan and Iraq wars. Only 2 other military aircraft have had a 50+ year service life - the venerable C-130 cargo and Soviet TU-95 Bear strategic bomber. Both were turboprop powered.
Regarding military service life, how about the old DC 3 (Dakota)?
Best.
11-03-2019, 06:48 AM   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Charlie Victor Quote
Regarding military service life, how about the old DC 3 (Dakota)? Best.
Maybe not military service, but service in both military and commercial aviation, yes.

11-03-2019, 06:57 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
A B-52 went down about 2 miles from my home in 1963 with two 10 megaton nukes on board, the tail was ripped off in a winter blizzard. Buzz One Four was the plane that went down.
11-03-2019, 08:56 AM - 1 Like   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by bschriver11 Quote
A B-52 went down about 2 miles from my home in 1963 with two 10 megaton nukes on board, the tail was ripped off in a winter blizzard. Buzz One Four was the plane that went down.
That, and other similar non-crash incidents caused Boeing to redesign the aircraft with a shorter vertical stabilizer.

B-52D with the taller vertical stab:

B-52H with the shorter vertical stab:

My first program office as a brand new 2Lt at USAF Systems Command was Seek/Score, an electronic bombing simulator for B-52s to eliminate the need for them to drop dummy ordinance for bombing proficiency tests. An electronic signal was sent then the calculated bomb trajectory would be calculated and scored.
11-03-2019, 03:08 PM   #25
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bschriver11 Quote
Sad for the crew and a worry for anyone in the vicinity. With crews constantly on alert I'm sure that accidents resulted.

QuoteOriginally posted by Pipemajor Quote
That, and other similar non-crash incidents caused Boeing to redesign the aircraft with a shorter vertical stabilizer.
B-52D with the taller vertical stab:
B-52H with the shorter vertical stab:
That's a huge difference! Lots of changes to the nose of the aircraft as well. I'm curious what the aerodynamic effect was. The worst accidents I've seen on video were side-slips, and having seen a B52 make a steep low turn over an Australian city, I wonder just how dangerous it was in a populated area.

QuoteQuote:
My first program office as a brand new 2Lt at USAF Systems Command was Seek/Score, an electronic bombing simulator for B-52s to eliminate the need for them to drop dummy ordinance for bombing proficiency tests. An electronic signal was sent then the calculated bomb trajectory would be calculated and scored.
That would be a heck of a lot cheaper than physical ordnance!
11-03-2019, 06:33 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
"Another bomber that I once saw...this one coming out of some dark storm clouds was the RAF Vulcan bomber. That was fearsome looking warbird."
"I never got to see a Vulcan in the air, and now the last one flying is grounded."
That thing reminds me of Miyazaki's Future boy Conan series.
11-03-2019, 08:06 PM   #27
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
PS There was a KC135 as a static display that day as well. They have been re-engined.
The B52 has been flying since the 1950's, making it 67 years old. It was recently announced that a program will begin that will re-engine them as well, replacing the TF-33 engines with updated engines from either General Electric, Pratt & Whitney or Rolls-Royce.

This should keep the B52 flying well into 2050, perhaps beyond.

That would make them 100 years old at that point.

Quite an accomplishment for such a huge and beautiful machine.
11-03-2019, 09:50 PM - 1 Like   #28
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
The B52 has been flying since the 1950's, making it 67 years old. It was recently announced that a program will begin that will re-engine them as well, replacing the TF-33 engines with updated engines from either General Electric, Pratt & Whitney or Rolls-Royce.
I'm surprised that they're still using the original engines! They could probably cut from eight to four and still have higher efficiency at the same power. You listed most of the biggest engine manufacturers other than CFM. That would be a significant contract.

QuoteQuote:
That would make them 100 years old at that point.
Quite an accomplishment for such a huge and beautiful machine.
100 years in service would be an amazing achievement. Some people seem to be in doubt about whether it's beautiful (I won't quote the acronym because my post might get rejected by the moderators). The RAAF flew the DHC-4 Caribou for 45 years and is still flying the upgraded C-130J Hercules. The RAAF has operated the type for 62 years.
11-04-2019, 12:14 AM   #29
Pentaxian

Great photos of this giant! Thanks for sharing! I haven't seen it yet for myself but I think I have a lot of years ahead to spot it someday!
11-04-2019, 03:04 AM   #30
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
I'm surprised that they're still using the original engines! They could probably cut from eight to four and still have higher efficiency at the same power. You listed most of the biggest engine manufacturers other than CFM. That would be a significant contract.
They keep rebuilding the engines, but the costs have become prohibitive.

Several replacement plans have been considered.

Replace the engines with eight of similar size and thrust. This plan results in little, if any change in fuel consumption and operating costs.

Replace the engines with four larger engines with higher thrust. This plan is supposed to result in better fuel efficiency, longer range, and lower operational costs.

Going with the latter plan seems logical, providing they can be fitted and not create ground clearance issues.

But it will change the looks of an icon most of us know and recognize.