Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
8 Likes  
B52 Stratofortress
Posted By: RobG, 11-01-2019, 02:10 AM

B52 Stratofortress
by RobGeraghty, on Flickr

This aircraft had flown from Guam. It did two passes, then flew back to Guam! That's one heck of a range.
Views: 2,351
11-04-2019, 03:23 AM - 1 Like   #31
Veteran Member

Nice shots!

11-04-2019, 04:20 AM - 2 Likes   #32
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by redpit Quote
Great photos of this giant! Thanks for sharing! I haven't seen it yet for myself but I think I have a lot of years ahead to spot it someday!
You're welcome! Funny - I've seen them several times in Australia and once in the USA. Just lucky I guess!

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Replace the engines with four larger engines with higher thrust. This plan is supposed to result in better fuel efficiency, longer range, and lower operational costs.
Going with the latter plan seems logical, providing they can be fitted and not create ground clearance issues. But it will change the looks of an icon most of us know and recognize.
Looks don't matter so much if it improves efficiency and maintainability. The wings droop a lot, so I can see how ground clearance could be an issue. Plus you wouldn't want to get in the way of the ordnance on the wings.
11-04-2019, 04:34 AM - 1 Like   #33
Veteran Member

Great plane but I hope there is no single one of these above my head right now.
11-04-2019, 04:41 AM   #34
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by taktoon Quote
Great plane but I hope there is no single one of these above my head right now.
I can understand that.

11-04-2019, 10:50 AM   #35

What a great shot of an old warrior!
11-04-2019, 10:57 AM   #36
Pentaxian

Nice shot. This Boeing is quite impressive.
11-04-2019, 11:12 AM - 2 Likes   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
Looks don't matter so much if it improves efficiency and maintainability. The wings droop a lot, so I can see how ground clearance could be an issue. Plus you wouldn't want to get in the way of the ordnance on the wings.
They have wingtip landing gear as well, to handle the drooping wings. They droop so much because that’s where the fuel tanks are located. The fuselage is mostly crew space, landing gear, avionics, and internal weapon bays...

The main gear is 8 sets of wheels in the fuselage, fore and aft. Neat feature is that the main gear can swivel, allowing the wheels to aim straight on a runway while the aircraft is pointing into a crosswind. Cool to watch!

Last edited by RoxnDox; 07-06-2020 at 08:18 PM.
11-04-2019, 01:44 PM   #38
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nightwatch Quote
What a great shot of an old warrior!
Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
Nice shot. This Boeing is quite impressive.
Thanks! It is.

QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
They have wingtip landing gear as well, to handle the drooping wings. They droop so much because that’s where the fuel tanks are located. The fuselage is mostly crew space, landing gear, avionics, and internal weapon bays...

The main gear is 8 sets of wheels in the fuselage, fore and aft. Neat feature is that the main gear can swivel, allowing the wheels to aim straight on a runway while the aircraft is pointing into a crosswind. Cool to watch!
I didn't know that the main gear was steerable. I do have a photo of the wing wheel of the ground display. Cool shot.
11-04-2019, 08:45 PM   #39
GRB
Pentaxian

I always wondered how they managed the range with the number of engines!

Shall do!

Ah, that explains a lot. It's easier to be efficient up high, which is the same reason why commercial airliners zoom up to over 20,000 feet even on a short hop.

Thanks! I've seen them in flight a few times now, and they're always impressive. I also had a close-up look at the one in the museum in Darwin.

I never got to see a Vulcan in the air, and now the last one flying is grounded.

Avro Vulcan XH558 THE FINAL FLIGHT - YouTube

That would have been something to see! I guess Beale would have supplied the B52 which carried the X15.
I don't believe they did; however, during those day anything was possible.
11-04-2019, 08:57 PM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great capture, Rob, looks like this one is stationed at Barksdale AFB near Shreveport and Bossier City, Louisiana. Strangely enough these big old birds have pilots flying them who are younger than the aircraft.
11-04-2019, 09:22 PM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Charlie Victor Quote
Nice shot! It has a massive wingspan and I can just imagine the fuel consumption with those eight jet engines! TFS.
Best.

Chances are there was mid-air refueling. Those operations are seldom publicized as their locations are always Secret, or Top Secret.

TT
11-04-2019, 09:40 PM   #42
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Great capture, Rob, looks like this one is stationed at Barksdale AFB near Shreveport and Bossier City, Louisiana. Strangely enough these big old birds have pilots flying them who are younger than the aircraft.
I guess you mean the static display aircraft? Most of the aircraft are probably twice the age of the pilots! I just checked when the RAAF took delivery of the first F18 and it was 1984, so it's even possible that some of the fighter pilots are younger than their planes. On the other hand, most of the oldest Hornets have probably been retired, along with the oldest of the B52s. There's lots of dismantled B52s at David-Monthan.
11-05-2019, 12:21 AM   #43
Pentaxian

On the other hand, most of the oldest Hornets have probably been retired, along with the oldest of the B52s. There's lots of dismantled B52s at David-Monthan.
There are 2 less than used to be in David-Monthan! This is a very good reading for anyone interested;
A B-52H Nicknamed "Wise Guy" Becomes The Second To Ever Come Back From The Bone Yard - The Drive
11-05-2019, 12:42 AM - 1 Like   #44
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by redpit Quote
There are 2 less than used to be in David-Monthan! This is a very good reading for anyone interested
Thanks for the link! The current images on Google Maps show eleven aircraft which look like they could be flown, There's another large area with aircraft that appear to be cannibalised for parts. Your link also led me to an article about the replacement of the B52 engines. It mentioned that the last B52 was produced in 1962, so presumably some of the aircraft flying are already over 60 years old (and none are younger than 57).
11-05-2019, 02:03 AM   #45
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
That's a nice photo of an impressive machine. I remember a flyby during an airshow in the 1980s. The noise was incredible, as was the black smoke (as was that of the F-4 Phantom), but it makes me wonder about the strategic value of such an aircraft nowadays. They're not sitting ducks, but slow fying ducks so they should be easy prey for a SAM. Is this also about loitering capability, just like you'd like to have a nuclear sub with ICBMs? Anyway, striking picture of a striking plane.