Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
Autumn in Koko-en
Lens: Tamron 17-50 f2.8 Camera: K3 Photo Location: Himeji, Japan ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/13s Aperture: F5.6 
Posted By: RobG, 11-01-2019, 07:09 PM

Autumn in Koko-en
by RobGeraghty, on Flickr

Three image panorama. Koko-en is a garden built on the site of accommodation for Samurai who visited Himeji castle in the Edo period. I took this last year, but it's now Autumn in Japan again.

---------- Post added 02-11-19 at 01:18 PM ----------

Koko-en cascade

---------- Post added 02-11-19 at 01:31 PM ----------

The Reddest Momiji

---------- Post added 02-11-19 at 01:59 PM ----------

Koko-en Samurai Residence
Views: 543
11-01-2019, 08:57 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote

Autumn in Koko-en

Three image panorama. Koko-en is a garden built on the site of accommodation for Samurai who visited Himeji castle in the Edo period. I took this last year, but it's now Autumn in Japan again.
These are beautiful - at any time of the year.
11-01-2019, 09:51 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
These gardens are really beautiful. The maples are amazing this time of the year.
11-01-2019, 10:10 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
These are beautiful - at any time of the year.
Yes, Japan's gardens are lovely.

QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
These gardens are really beautiful. The maples are amazing this time of the year.
In Canada, too. I remember when I was on a flight from Paris to Newark flying over north-eastern Canada, I looked down and saw that the forests were shades of red and orange. At first I thought that there had been fires before I realised that it was Autumn! Most trees in Australia are evergreen, so Autumn isn't something most Ozzies know.

11-02-2019, 07:31 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Really nice, great place to have a camera in hand.
11-03-2019, 06:51 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by foxandcrow Quote
Really nice, great place to have a camera in hand.
Sure is! I've seen it in winter and autumn - I'd just like to see it in Spring and Summer!
11-05-2019, 02:42 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lovely series..I especially enjoyed #2. Well done.

11-05-2019, 02:44 PM   #8
Pentaxian

These are very lovely. Once of these days I'll get out to Japan in the fall.
11-05-2019, 07:39 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pbancr Quote
Lovely series..I especially enjoyed #2. Well done.
Thank you!

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
These are very lovely. Once of these days I'll get out to Japan in the fall.
I definitely recommend it if you can get the timing right. I've tried twice to see autumn colour in Japan. The first time, the colour wasn't great, but the second time (last year when I took these) the colours were incredible. Himeji was really surprising. Kyoto was lovely as well, but these days Kyoto is super crowded with Chinese tourists unless you go to places which are less known to the tour companies. I have nothing against the Chinese; I'm simply saying that the crowds in places like Kinkakuji and Gion have increased enormously in the last ten years, and most of the people are now from mainland China. Kyoto is being loved to death. I'd stay well away from Kyoto at New Year, because then you'd have the Japanese crowds on top of everyone else! Other places famous for Autumn include Kamikochi, and some areas of Yamanashi close to Mount Fuji, but there's lots of places in Japan which have good Autumn colour, especially in the formal gardens.
11-06-2019, 01:23 PM   #10
Pentaxian

^ My wife & I almost booked a flight to Japan for this November, but since we have some other stuff coming up next year, we didn't do it. I do remember there being tons of tourists in Gion & around Kyoto in general the last time I was there.

When we were in Nagoya, I was surprised at the amount of Chinese folks too. I don't have anything against them either. Hahahaha! I just found it funny, since it's not really a tourist place, but then it could be from all the production at the nearby Toyota plants. A lot of the folks in Nagoya were very happy that we were visiting their area. I guess they don't get too many tourists there.
11-06-2019, 01:51 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Makes you really want to go there.
11-06-2019, 03:53 PM - 1 Like   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
^ My wife & I almost booked a flight to Japan for this November, but since we have some other stuff coming up next year, we didn't do it. I do remember there being tons of tourists in Gion & around Kyoto in general the last time I was there.
A couple of years ago, I visited Kyoto just after New Year and the hatsumode (first shrine visit of the year) crowd was unbelievable. But they were almost all Japanese people, not foreign tourists.

QuoteQuote:
When we were in Nagoya, I was surprised at the amount of Chinese folks too. I don't have anything against them either. Hahahaha! I just found it funny, since it's not really a tourist place, but then it could be from all the production at the nearby Toyota plants. A lot of the folks in Nagoya were very happy that we were visiting their area. I guess they don't get too many tourists there.
I think it was the same trip I mentioned above where I stayed in Nagoya for one night because it was a Japanese long weekend and everything in Kyoto was booked out (well, unless you wanted to pay $1200 for a night). There's a Toyota museum in Nagoya which I found fascinating. Perhaps the tourists were staying in Nagoya but travelling to Kyoto from there - which is easy to do with the bullet train on a rail pass. You're right, Nagoya is more of an industrial city not a tourist attraction.

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Makes you really want to go there.
Thanks! It's a beautiful place! Although the main reason I like Himeji is for its original castle. Most of Japan's castles were dismantled in the Meiji restoration or destroyed in WW2. Many were rebuilt, but few are original, and Himeji is a masterpiece of 16th century engineering.