Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
9 Likes  
I finally won something
Posted By: Glen, 11-06-2019, 02:57 PM

I posted this on 500px and won a one year paid membership. I know that hundreds of others probably won too but it's still a winner. The image is one of hundreds or maybe thousands of abandoned to semi-abandoned churches on the rural Canadian prairies. It's mostly due to people moving from the land to the cities or other provinces which is because farms keep getting larger.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 

Views: 1,474
11-19-2019, 08:14 PM - 1 Like   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Also in Australia, there's many abandoned churches across the inland areas as the farms have grown bigger and the population has shrunk.

11-19-2019, 08:48 PM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

Wow, that's super cool. I've only ever driven through that way once in the winter and it's pretty wide open like that. Beautiful and empty
11-19-2019, 09:16 PM - 1 Like   #18
Forum Member

congrats
11-21-2019, 01:48 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
Also in Australia, there's many abandoned churches across the inland areas as the farms have grown bigger and the population has shrunk.
Australia is on my bucket list to visit someday but that's in the distant future. However I'm not surprised that it shares many characteristics as Canada, especially in mining and agricultural areas.

---------- Post added 11-21-2019 at 01:50 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by STARHUNTER94 Quote
Wow, that's super cool. I've only ever driven through that way once in the winter and it's pretty wide open like that. Beautiful and empty
Until a few years ago I had never driven through Saskatchewan even though I live in the neighbouring province. I always thought that there's nothing to see here and then headed to places in Alberta or BC. However once I started to take an interest in all these abandoned buildings, be they churches, schools or whole towns, I was hooked. Now I go there once or twice a year.

11-21-2019, 06:14 PM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Glen Quote
Australia is on my bucket list to visit someday but that's in the distant future. However I'm not surprised that it shares many characteristics as Canada, especially in mining and agricultural areas.
Being a Commonwealth country, we have quite a few similarities.
11-22-2019, 05:43 PM   #21
Pentaxian

---------- Post added 11-21-2019 at 01:50 PM ----------

Until a few years ago I had never driven through Saskatchewan even though I live in the neighbouring province. I always thought that there's nothing to see here and then headed to places in Alberta or BC. However once I started to take an interest in all these abandoned buildings, be they churches, schools or whole towns, I was hooked. Now I go there once or twice a year.
I can see why - it's a gold mine for your subject in mind. Unforgiving in the winter but otherwise great.
12-16-2019, 03:13 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
Being a Commonwealth country, we have quite a few similarities.
Not nearly as many things in common as I wish. Canadian culture is considered to be around 25% from the British, 10% from the French and the rest from the States. Case in point, the Ontario and Alberta premiers are very Trump like. Sad but true. Also before I retired from the Tax Dept, I would constantly be hearing about how "that's how they do it in Australia" or "that's how they do it in New Zealand" when it cames to things like the GST or general tax programs administration. It's as if you can do no wrong down under. With respect to our American friends, we never ever were told that we should do something because that's how they do it in the States. It is what it is.

12-16-2019, 03:34 PM   #23

congratulations, that is a really nice photo. I like the composition
12-16-2019, 03:52 PM   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Not nearly as many things in common as I wish. Canadian culture is considered to be around 25% from the British, 10% from the French and the rest from the States. Case in point, the Ontario and Alberta premiers are very Trump like. Sad but true. Also before I retired from the Tax Dept, I would constantly be hearing about how "that's how they do it in Australia" or "that's how they do it in New Zealand" when it comes to things like the GST or general tax programs administration. It's as if you can do no wrong down under. With respect to our American friends, we never ever were told that we should do something because that's how they do it in the States. It is what it is.
Wow, that's really interesting! I think the Quebecois might disagree with you on the French bit, but then they seem to like to disagree. Actually I have met some great Quebecois, so no offense meant.
How interesting that Australia's tax system might be held up as a good example of how to do things! You're right, I've never heard anyone talk about taxation in the USA being a good example of how to manage it.
12-16-2019, 03:56 PM - 1 Like   #25

Photos: Gallery
It's a great image, and the backstory makes it all the more striking. Congrats on the win!