Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
A Walk at Mount Franklin
Lens: DA 16-85 Camera: K3 Photo Location: Canberra, Australia ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/160s Aperture: F6.3 
Posted By: RobG, 11-09-2019, 07:17 AM

Mountain Daisies
by RobGeraghty, on Flickr

It snowed yesterday in the Snowy Mountains yesterday. It's November, which is supposed to be almost summer in Australia. Snow is rare for this time of year! Hoping that some snow might have fallen in the mountains closer to home, I went for a drive to Mount Franklin which at 1,600 metres is about the same altitude as Perisher Valley, where I'd seen snow online. Alas there was now snow on the ground, but it did snow while I was there. It was blowing a gale with wind gusts of at least 40 kmh, so that made photos challenging in the dull light. There were many Paper Daisies lining the trail, and the hillside was covered in Fabaceae bushes with their "eggs and bacon" flowers.

Eggs and Bacon

In the rocks along the trail I also discovered tiny native violets.

Native Violets

This joey is too big for the pouch, but... "Mum, it's cold out there!"

But it's cold outside!

In the early 20th century when there was more snow on the Brindabellas, local enthusiasts created a ski chalet at Mount Franklin, which unfortunately burned down in the 2003 firestorm. There was a rope tow, powered by the engine of an old car.

I didn't expect to use the gloves I bought in New Zealand until next winter, but I was very glad I took them today, with a wind chill lowering the apparent temperature below freezing point.

Possum gloves

The original chalet was replaced with a steel shelter in the hope that it will survive future fires. Today however, there were flurries of snow. Video link below:

Snow in November on Vimeo

Last edited by RobG; 11-09-2019 at 08:06 AM.
Views: 130
11-09-2019, 07:41 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Great series of photos Rob! Even on a blustery, cold day, it looks like a great place to visit.
11-09-2019, 07:54 AM - 1 Like   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
Great series of photos Rob! Even on a blustery, cold day, it looks like a great place to visit.
Thanks Todd! It is, indeed. Unfortunately I don't have photos of the Scarlet Robins that were all along the road at the top of the range, or the Red-necked Wallabies that disappeared into the bush. The video link at the end of my post is a bit invisible. I hoped that it would show the preview frame. I do enjoy the drive along the top of that ridge, high above the inhabited areas below.

---------- Post added 10-11-19 at 02:04 AM ----------

Nature's columns

I could never understand why Eucalypts shed their bark in Autumn not Spring. I believe that it is because the dark, fibrous bark protects the smooth sapwood from fire. Having said that, the white trunks in the distance belong to trees killed by the firestorm in 2003.
Eucalyptus trees near Bull's Head in Namadgi National Park.

It was disturbing to hear the trees crack and groan as powerful gusts of wind passed over the range.
11-09-2019, 02:34 PM   #4
PJ1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice series, Rob. I particularly like "Nature's columns". Good to see some moisture there! We don't have much in the way of wild flowers this year. Just had another three-day dust storm here (more like a heavy haze, but you can smell it and it coats everything).

11-09-2019, 11:42 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
Nice series, Rob. I particularly like "Nature's columns". Good to see some moisture there! We don't have much in the way of wild flowers this year. Just had another three-day dust storm here (more like a heavy haze, but you can smell it and it coats everything).
Thanks! We haven't had a lot of rain either, and have had some very dusty days with the topsoil blowing in from the west.
According to Weatherzone, the average for Canberra to November is 597mm. So far this year, 392mm, and only 260mm to the same date last year. I know what you mean about the smell of the dust. The first time I experienced that was in SE Queensland with dust blown in from the west. Let's hope all of Oz gets rain soon.

I was up at the top of the Brindabella range, which is the catchment for Canberra's dams other than Googong. Bendora dam is down to 19%, so whatever is falling on the ranges isn't ending up in the rivers. The thirsty soils and plants are soaking it up. Thankfully, the new Cotter dam was completed in time to catch record rainfall years ago, so it's still at 85%. It's going to be a long, hot summer.