Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Angry bird
Posted By: RobG, 11-10-2019, 05:36 AM

Little Penguins have a knack of looking angry, which is odd for such a little bird! Mind you, I'd be unimpressed by someone flashing bright lights at me when I'm trying to rest after a long day hunting, too.

Little Penguin
by RobGeraghty, on Flickr

The penguin above was at Bicheno in Tasmania. This warning sign was at Stanley, where we also saw a Penguin.

Watch out for Penguins!
by RobGeraghty, on Flickr
Views: 642
11-10-2019, 05:38 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I'm surprised you could get that close of the penguin to use a flash. And its expression is neat, indeed. Great shots!
11-10-2019, 07:29 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Ha...this made me laugh. Thank you!!
11-10-2019, 02:09 PM   #4
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey, I will be there in a couple of weeks! The family gave me a short break in Tasmania for a birthday present (well, me and the missus). It will be a few days in Hobart, then over to Strahan for the Gordon/Franklin cruise, a couple of days around Cradle Mountain (and Trowunna Wildlife Sanctuary), then Wine Glass Bay and Bicheno (because the missus insisted on the penguins!), back to Hobart and home. I like that penguin. Looks like he would give you a 'Liverpool kiss' if he was tall enough.

11-10-2019, 02:23 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
He's a cute fella alright. I'd be annoyed with flashes in my face, too!
11-10-2019, 03:07 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bertrand3000 Quote
I'm surprised you could get that close of the penguin to use a flash. And its expression is neat, indeed. Great shots!
Thank you! I'm pretty sure it was the camera's pop-up flash, and I was using a zoom lens, but yes it was cool to be able to get close to them. Recently in New Zealand we saw Fiordland Penguins, but from about 200m away.

QuoteOriginally posted by ginnyfoos Quote
Ha...this made me laugh. Thank you!!
Glad to be of service!

QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
Hey, I will be there in a couple of weeks! The family gave me a short break in Tasmania for a birthday present (well, me and the missus). It will be a few days in Hobart, then over to Strahan for the Gordon/Franklin cruise, a couple of days around Cradle Mountain (and Trowunna Wildlife Sanctuary), then Wine Glass Bay and Bicheno (because the missus insisted on the penguins!), back to Hobart and home. I like that penguin. Looks like he would give you a 'Liverpool kiss' if he was tall enough.
I recommend the audiovisual presentation in the Hobart museum - I hope it's still there! It was made using original photos from Mawson's Antarctic expedition. That sounds like a great trip! I've been to Tasmania twice, but I still haven't seen the cruise from Strahan. FWIW I'm pretty sure that all the penguins we saw were to the northwest of the "Sealife Centre". We heard a lot more than we saw, arguing with each other hidden in the bushes. Cradle Mountain is fabulous too - make sure you go for a walk at night to spot animals by torchlight. Have a great trip and please share some photos! I have no doubt that the penguin would have given me what for, if he could reach higher than my shins! The best thing is to try to catch the penguins as they waddle between the water and their roosting spots in the bushes. You might have to have an early dinner, because as far as I know, they wait until after sunset to come ashore.

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
He's a cute fella alright. I'd be annoyed with flashes in my face, too!
On the tours they ask people not to use flashes, which is understandable - if you have a group of 20 people all taking photos, that would be a lot more startling than one person taking a photo. At somewhere like Philip Island, a couple of hundred people taking flash photos would be bound to stun them.
11-10-2019, 03:19 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Nice photo! Hope you get to see more penguins.Thanks for sharing.

11-10-2019, 03:56 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jmacias Quote
Nice photo! Hope you get to see more penguins.Thanks for sharing.
Thanks! I should visit Tasmania during summer and see what the difference is!
11-10-2019, 04:12 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
Little Penguins have a knack of looking angry, which is odd for such a little bird! Mind you, I'd be unimpressed by someone flashing bright lights at me when I'm trying to rest after a long day hunting, too.
What kind of ISO setting would have been required in order to take a photo without the use of flash?
11-10-2019, 06:02 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
What kind of ISO setting would have been required in order to take a photo without the use of flash?
Even higher than the 800 ISO I used. I must check the original EXIF because I have a feeling that the photo used torchlight not a flash. However, shielding a torch with a red filter is recommended to reduce the glare on their eyes. I do try to avoid the use of a flash at any time when photographing wildlife, even during the day.
11-10-2019, 06:46 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
Even higher than the 800 ISO I used. I must check the original EXIF because I have a feeling that the photo used torchlight not a flash. However, shielding a torch with a red filter is recommended to reduce the glare on their eyes. I do try to avoid the use of a flash at any time when photographing wildlife, even during the day.
The reason I asked was I was wondering whether a KP - where I have 12800 set as the maximum ISO in ‘auto’ cases - would have been beneficial in this setting.
11-10-2019, 07:09 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
The reason I asked was I was wondering whether a KP - where I have 12800 set as the maximum ISO in ‘auto’ cases - would have been beneficial in this setting.
Possibly, although I think it was a moonless night at the time. The best way to avoid it and still get a photo would be to try to get a photo as they land on the beach where there might be a bit more light, and as close to twilight as possible.