Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
The Catehdral Church of St. John's the Divine
Posted By: -=JoN=-, 03-03-2007, 05:20 PM

I went out last week to my old place of part-time employment, the Cathedral Church of St. John's, and finally got around to taking some shots. I tried previously (with film), but lighting in certain area's you need a tripod, and even with my connections inside, it still is a hassle to get the proper permission to take tripod shots. Lucky for me I have SR. here's a few from my set that day..

Started construction in 1893, still not finished (construction stopped in the early 80's I think)

view of the southwest side of the cathedral.

we were suppose to work that day...

the closed part of the cathedral undergoing repairs from the fire. set to re-open early next year
Views: 1,456
03-03-2007, 05:27 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster

there are no pews found here unlike in other cathedrals. part of my old job was to set up for shows and reset back to service. there are about 800 or so regular service wooden chairs, and about 4000 of those red fold able ones.

this area was closed off last most of 2005, and early part of 06. They did a really good job in the restoration

one of the many chapels in the ambulatory area

the high cross as seen from the ambulatory area

Sigma 28mm EX DG f/1.7 lens
K10D body
I have more i need to get to.
these were the jpg's
mostly unedited
I have the PEF's to tweak later on.

C and C much obliged

Thanks for looking
03-03-2007, 07:08 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Oh, we went here on our schools Art's trip to New York a couple years back. I really loved that statue but most of the inside was blocked off (and my camera at the time sucked so I got no good pictures ). I really like your last one, of the high cross, it's really cool. I'd love to see it with the bright spot cropped out and both side brought in a little. I'm going on the New York trip again in October...hopefully we can go back here!
03-03-2007, 09:03 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Jon, I went there on a very grey day in January. Photos of that trip can be found here:SmugMug - saltwater : New York City
For a long while, I used to go to the Sunday afternoon Vespers service because of the wonderful music, lots of Gregorian chants, and some beautiful organ solos at the end of the service. Stopped going a while ago, don't remember why, and I don't know why I don't resume.

NaCl(thanks for reminding me)H2O

Last edited by NaClH2O; 03-03-2007 at 09:04 PM. Reason: spelling
03-03-2007, 10:01 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by balofagus Quote
Oh, we went here on our schools Art's trip to New York a couple years back. I really loved that statue but most of the inside was blocked off (and my camera at the time sucked so I got no good pictures ). I really like your last one, of the high cross, it's really cool. I'd love to see it with the bright spot cropped out and both side brought in a little. I'm going on the New York trip again in October...hopefully we can go back here!
I would really love to take shots of the Rose Window, but currently it's being blocked off by the construction.

Yeah, that high cross one was or is a personal fave. I was planning on doing some cropping when i get to the RAW.

thanks, and yes, make you go back there, even if the clean up process is not compelete
03-03-2007, 10:05 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Hi Jon, I went there on a very grey day in January. Photos of that trip can be found here:SmugMug - saltwater : New York City
For a long while, I used to go to the Sunday afternoon Vespers service because of the wonderful music, lots of Gregorian chants, and some beautiful organ solos at the end of the service. Stopped going a while ago, don't remember why, and I don't know why I don't resume.

NaCl(thanks for reminding me)H2O

I like your compositions of the doors outside. I dont know why i really didnt take or think of those angles.

I'm not sure what the vespers is now, they have reorganized a lot in there, even productions (my old dept) took a big hit in shows and such. I would think since the eastern side is opened up, they would have it again.

anyway, thanks for looking
03-03-2007, 10:59 PM   #7
Veteran Member

A nice series, Jon.

You managed to present the church with various perspectives and great use of lighting

03-04-2007, 07:29 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Jon,

Great shots of the church. Really liked how you used the lighting too. Looks like all were shot without your flash?

03-04-2007, 07:35 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by -=JoN=- Quote
I like your compositions of the doors outside. I dont know why i really didnt take or think of those angles.

I'm not sure what the vespers is now, they have reorganized a lot in there, even productions (my old dept) took a big hit in shows and such. I would think since the eastern side is opened up, they would have it again.

anyway, thanks for looking
Thanks Jon, glad you liked the photos. BTW, didn't mention it in my original post but my fav is your capture of the High Cross. Well I won't be getting downtown (the Cathedral is downtown to me...everything is downtown to me ) today, but I may check their web site to see if it's still on. Lovely lovely music.

NaCl(nothing like a free concert to wrap up the weekend)H2O
03-04-2007, 11:12 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Thanks Jon and saltwater - brings back memories of my own visit there in October 2001.
03-04-2007, 09:55 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
A nice series, Jon.

You managed to present the church with various perspectives and great use of lighting

Thanks James,

some of the lighting was a bit tricky, i got a lot of overexposed highlights in some of the other chapels. I may be able to still fix it when I get in to the RAW, but, we'll see, thanks for the comments

QuoteOriginally posted by Alvin Quote
Jon,

Great shots of the church. Really liked how you used the lighting too. Looks like all were shot without your flash?
Thanks Alvin,
yes, you are right, i didnt use my flash, something like that you just need to use the available lighting. it was a lot trickier than I thought too.

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Thanks Jon, glad you liked the photos. BTW, didn't mention it in my original post but my fav is your capture of the High Cross. Well I won't be getting downtown (the Cathedral is downtown to me...everything is downtown to me ) today, but I may check their web site to see if it's still on. Lovely lovely music.

NaCl(nothing like a free concert to wrap up the weekend)H2O
Thanks salt,
i personally like that one the best too. I need to do some post on it a bit.

I have to ask my friend who's managing some shows there if they are or when they will have the sunday recital series again.

QuoteOriginally posted by betsypdx Quote
Thanks Jon and saltwater - brings back memories of my own visit there in October 2001.

Your welcome betsy

and thanks to everyone else for looking
03-04-2007, 11:28 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Great series! The perspectives of the last ones in both posts are excellent!
03-05-2007, 01:03 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Jon - before I forget. Put that 3rd shot of your second set into the Weekly challenge (windows and doors)!!