Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
6 Likes  
Bald Eagle
Posted By: aitrus3, 11-10-2019, 05:37 PM

William Optics ZS71ED telescope with 2x teleextender for effective focal length of 836mm.
Mature Bald Eagle.

Views: 1,549
11-18-2019, 10:21 AM - 1 Like   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Love this shot, and the astro stuff is great as well!

11-18-2019, 01:38 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Vaskebjorn Quote
I found your Flickr account . You got an extra follower now.
I am also intrigued by your moonshots. You seem to get two colored ones and I read on your account why, but how do you tweak these colors or is that entirely manual.
My favourite moon shot posted above takes a lot of work. The more images you use the better, much like planetary. Unlike deep space, stacking moon/planetary images minimizes atmospheric disturbances and is not used to just gather more light.
For the moon shot above I stacked I think it was 60ish images. To get colour is tedious and delicate, one wrong move anywhere in the chain will erase it. ISO100 has to be used, no questions. Even at ISO 200 the added noise will make colour extraction impossible, and yes I tried. I tried ISO 400, 200, etc. 100 was my only real success.
You need to ensure proper white balance, no NR, not too much detail refinements to start, low contrast, but highly saturated images to begin with. For stacking I used PiPP to pre-process the shots and centre them all. Then I used LynkEOS to stack them all and a bit of sharpening with deconvolution, I then moved that stack into Affinity Photo to coax bit more colour out, and moved back into LR to finish the version I like the most above. It was more effort to get the moon colours than my most recent Orion shot. They're very delicate and as some of my other moon shots show, very easy to get really wrong. Haha.
11-18-2019, 02:31 PM - 1 Like   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I’ll take my hat off to you. Great work.
I think the easiest will be admiring yours, they real pieces of art. Maybe one day I will give it a try. I never did any stacking ever before, so will likely take a considerable amount of practice.

QuoteOriginally posted by aitrus3 Quote
My favourite moon shot posted above takes a lot of work. The more images you use the better, much like planetary. Unlike deep space, stacking moon/planetary images minimizes atmospheric disturbances and is not used to just gather more light.
For the moon shot above I stacked I think it was 60ish images. To get colour is tedious and delicate, one wrong move anywhere in the chain will erase it. ISO100 has to be used, no questions. Even at ISO 200 the added noise will make colour extraction impossible, and yes I tried. I tried ISO 400, 200, etc. 100 was my only real success.
You need to ensure proper white balance, no NR, not too much detail refinements to start, low contrast, but highly saturated images to begin with. For stacking I used PiPP to pre-process the shots and centre them all. Then I used LynkEOS to stack them all and a bit of sharpening with deconvolution, I then moved that stack into Affinity Photo to coax bit more colour out, and moved back into LR to finish the version I like the most above. It was more effort to get the moon colours than my most recent Orion shot. They're very delicate and as some of my other moon shots show, very easy to get really wrong. Haha.
11-18-2019, 06:01 PM - 1 Like   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very nice picture. And a striking pose by the eagle.

11-30-2019, 12:08 AM - 1 Like   #35

Great shot, an interesting picture,