Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Takumars take on sketch comedy!
Posted By: Gooshin, 10-19-2008, 09:45 AM

weapon of choice, Super-Mutli-Coated Takumar, 85 F1.8

without a split prisim, focusing was difficult, and hard to get consistent results.

Last night i was invited out to see a life comedy show, its been awhile and i always enjoy these sort of thigns.

the group performing was called Frenzy

basicaly it was a series of very short (between 10 seconds and 2 minutes) skits that, from what i gathered, related to various things... "in life", i doubt anyone laughed during the entire show, but i'm quite certain atleast one sketch impacted everyone in the theater. Personaly i found atleast 50% of the show hilarious, altho there were still some very dull moments.

here are some shots

this was my favorite skit, and my favorite shot, i cant explain the scene, you had to watch it, it was one of those long silent scenes where the face mimics told it all

Views: 1,620
10-19-2008, 12:13 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ah, the joys of shooting a stage performance with available lighting!

Reminds me of the problems I had shooting at the circus with a K100D Super, an A70-200/F4 & a F35-105/F4-5.6 zoom. Although in that case there was some fast stuff too (juggling) and stuff performed high up where the lighting was lower still. I used ISO 800 and some ISO 1600 and had to forget about stopping down to increase sharpness.

How many rows back were you?

Was there a major cast in the colour temp of the shots? My circus stuff, shot with AWB, all came out at about 2970K, but because I shot in RAW I was able to fix it afterwards.

I'd like to discuss the exposure on the last two shots:

1/200s, ISO 400

1/20s, ISO 800

Was the first of these shots taken wide open? How far did you stop down for the 2nd?

And the 4th shot from the top - the guy with the ball:

1/60s, ISO 1600.

Noise doesn't look too bad in the small shot you've posted. Do you remember the aperture.

Dan.

Last edited by dosdan; 10-19-2008 at 12:59 PM.
10-19-2008, 12:44 PM   #3
Damn Brit

Good work, I bet you had to work hard, but it was worth the effort.
10-19-2008, 12:51 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dosdan Quote
Ah, the joys of shooting a stage performance with available lighting!

Reminds me of the problems I had shooting at the circus with a K100D Super, an A70-200/F4 & a F35-105/F4-5.6 zoom. Although in that case there was some fast stuff too (juggling) and stuff performed high up where the lighting was lower still. I used ISO 800 and some ISO 1600 and to forget about stopping down to increase sharpness.

How many rows back were you?

Was there a major cast in the colour temp of the shots? My circus stuff, shot with AWB, all came out at about 2970K, but because I shot in RAW I was able to fix it afterwards.

I'd like to discuss the exposure on the last two shots:

1/200s, ISO 400

1/20s, ISO 800

Was the first of these shots taken wide open? How far did you stop down for the 2nd?

And the 4th shot from the top - the guy with the ball:

1/60s, ISO 1600.

Noise doesn't look too bad in the small shot you've posted. Do you remember the aperture.

Dan.
i was shooting about 20 rows back from a balcony, i had the added benefit of sitting right in front of a railing giving me much better support.

as for aperture, i know i didnt go beyond 2.8, so it was between 2.8 and 1.8 the whole time.

i kept experimenting with the ISO settings, but i didnt want to disturb the people around me with constantly lighting up the screen to check my work (its pretty bright when you are in a dark place)

again my biggest drawback was focusing, also the lighting kept changing, and the one guy with the white shirt kept reflecting alot of light so the exposure was going bananas.

if i focuses on the people it would be way too dark, thats where the high shutter count came up, but if i focused more on the blacks overall it got better eposure but blew the highlights.

my conclusions were that there were no conclusions, i think a monopod and a katz eye would have done really well here.

10-19-2008, 12:57 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
here is like a 400% crop of the basketball shot

again i dont remember the aperture but its 2.8 or less, no form of noise reduction was applied during post processing.