Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
4 Likes  #1
Avon Sabre
Lens: DA 55-300 Camera: K7 Photo Location: Williamtown, NSW ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/640s Aperture: F5.6 
Posted By: RobG, 11-16-2019, 07:45 AM

CA27 Avon Sabre A94-983
by RobGeraghty, on Flickr
Views: 560
11-16-2019, 11:07 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Excellent shot of a Sabre. Looks like you had a trip down warplane memory lane! Thanks for sharing.
Best.
11-16-2019, 03:23 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Charlie Victor Quote
Excellent shot of a Sabre. Looks like you had a trip down warplane memory lane! Thanks for sharing.
Thanks! A lot of classic historical aircraft were there. I think it was the first air show I went to with a DSLR.
11-16-2019, 06:20 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I wonder how many F-86s there are still on the airshow circuit? I know There are a number of Chinese manufactured MiG 15 and 17s out on the circuits. This is obviously a later model with the fully moving horizontal Stab. I don't imagine any A models are still flying.

11-16-2019, 06:30 PM - 1 Like   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
I wonder how many F-86s there are still on the airshow circuit? I know There are a number of Chinese manufactured MiG 15 and 17s out on the circuits. This is obviously a later model with the fully moving horizontal Stab. I don't imagine any A models are still flying.
I believe that there's two Sabres in flying condition in Australia. I think this one is still grounded by the ejection seat issue. The other is privately owned.

According to Wikipedia there's two A models airworthy in the USA.

Another CAC Avon Sabre is being restored in New Zealand.

Last edited by RobG; 11-16-2019 at 06:43 PM.
11-16-2019, 06:39 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Not sure how much progress an aviation museum in Perth is doing on restoring a Sabre.

About 3-4yrs ago when i was there, saw "a portion" of a South Afircan Sabre (cannot recall back or front).

Asked one of the staff there and told me they got that portion cuz the rest of the airplane been shredded for scrap metal.
So, they "rescued" that portion and viewing it as a long-term project to rebuild it.
11-16-2019, 06:46 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by termy Quote
Not sure how much progress an aviation museum in Perth is doing on restoring a Sabre.
About 3-4yrs ago when i was there, saw "a portion" of a South Afircan Sabre (cannot recall back or front).
Asked one of the staff there and told me they got that portion cuz the rest of the airplane been shredded for scrap metal.
So, they "rescued" that portion and viewing it as a long-term project to rebuild it.
That sounds like a major project! Mind you, there wasn't much left of some other aircraft which have been restored, like the Boomerang.

11-16-2019, 06:54 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Excellent capture. This image really jogs the memory banks. I remember as a kid in the mid 1950s, (no, wait) 1850s, I would build model fighter jets all day long. You know, they just don't make

airplane glue like they used to. ) Thanks very much for a wonderful photograph.

TT
11-17-2019, 04:28 AM - 1 Like   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
Excellent capture. This image really jogs the memory banks. I remember as a kid in the mid 1950s, (no, wait) 1850s, I would build model fighter jets all day long. You know, they just don't make
airplane glue like they used to. ) Thanks very much for a wonderful photograph.
Thanks Tony! Likewise, my brothers and I built many Airfix, Revell and Tamiya kits when we were kids. Sadly, none of them have survived, and I don't even have a photograph of my best efforts. I think I do have a photograph of a 1/72 scale Beaufighter I built. I got to sit in the pilot's seat of a real one in Moorabbin as a kid. My best kit was a Revell one, until a housemate's cat knocked it off the shelves to smash on the floor.
Ah,well, I enjoyed building them at the time.