Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
Reflections of an industrial river
Camera: Lumix FZ-20 Photo Location: Newcastle Upon Tyne ISO: 80 Shutter Speed: 1/160s Aperture: F5 
Posted By: Richard_Fiddler, 11-19-2019, 04:59 AM

This image was taken with my new at the time FZ-20. Not sure if it's good etiquette to post a non-pentax image but back in 2005 a pentax dslr was rather hard to come by. The reflections on this day were of really high quality and rare to find as most often the wind blows through or the tide itself creates constant movement. Here it is perfectly still calm with the bridge structure reflected in a manner to make it hard to discern the waters surface. A river that into the 70's had zero dissolved oxygen, lifeless from industrial activity, now supporting salmon, otters etc. A positive turn-around but at the expense of a huge shipbuilding industry and it's history.

The FZ-20, which I used only a month ago for fun, was a very good walkaround camera. At the time my colleagues said "A panasonic eh, you should get a canon or nikon, what do Panasonic know about cameras". As an electronics engineer I felt they knew a lot for this next chapter of photography.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DMC-FZ20  Photo 

Views: 177
11-19-2019, 07:23 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice. Really eye-catching reflections! Thanks for sharing.
Best.
11-19-2019, 07:44 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A well composed shot Richard. The water reflects everything perfectly.
11-19-2019, 08:03 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for your replies. One of the limits of the FZ-20 is that it's wide angle is only 35mm so not ideal at times. So my framing was sometimes limited for various reason's( traffic, as in stepping back into , or visual obstructions etc ). On the whole the fz-20 was a very good camera for it's versatility but its iso performance above 200 very poor. But Panasonic have gone on to greater things today. My samsung GX-10 was the next big leap in 2007, now in 2019 a newly acquired K-70...... a joy to use. Pentax really do design for photographers I feel, well thought out.

I have a few other reflective images I may post from the same day, they weren't planned, just fortunate on the day as is often the case.

11-19-2019, 09:47 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice reflections, you did well back in 2005
11-19-2019, 09:51 AM   #6
MSL
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
You do the best you can with the camera you have in hand, since the moment may not come again. I'm sure that part of Newcastle Upon Tyne has changed in the interim