Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Almost the mile high club.....
Posted By: spyglass, 10-19-2008, 07:58 PM

I went to watch my nephew race his dirt bike last weekend. This is his first season racing. My sister tells me that he has improved with every race. I was shocked at how much air they got and how far they sailed. I had never been to a live motocross race before. Armed with my camera, and the knowledge that he only had 2 races (4 laps each), I tossed all my eggs into one basket /location. It is always funny when you find a new subject matter. There is always some sort of learning curve. This was the best of the 8 shots I took. As luck would have it the motocross season is over. But there is always next year....

Thanks for looking,
Views: 3,570
10-19-2008, 08:48 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice! That'll have you itching for next year.....that's for sure.
10-19-2008, 09:21 PM   #3
Damn Brit

Good work, looks like you got through that steep learning curve ok.
10-19-2008, 09:22 PM   #4
Veteran Member

So True. Every Event has its own best practices.

There was a recent posting on taking pictures at a bike race. within, someone gave some pointers. Search for it; it might help. Talked about the relative advantage of being on the inside of a curve or outside....

Today as I was making my second pass through the Farmer's Market, separated by many hours, I felt a kinship with the shaman-hunter. Feeling the flow and being where the action was. It is all about the timing. Taking in the location, the flow, the angles all with the camera and lens strengths and limitations at hand.

Sure liking this. And that is a good picture. I liked scrolling down and having it go on and on...

10-19-2008, 10:41 PM   #5
Veteran Member

wow, what happened to the rider in the end?
10-20-2008, 01:23 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
wow, what happened to the rider in the end?
He landed the table top jump perfectly, on the down ramp, both wheels at the same time. These kids crack the throttle, hit the jump, get almost 4 meters above the table top, and sail for 30 meters (100ft), 14 & 15 years old - fearless.

QuoteOriginally posted by metroeloise Quote
There was a recent posting on taking pictures at a bike race. within, someone gave some pointers. Search for it; it might help. Talked about the relative advantage of being on the inside of a curve or outside....

Today as I was making my second pass through the Farmer's Market, separated by many hours, I felt a kinship with the shaman-hunter. Feeling the flow and being where the action was. It is all about the timing. Taking in the location, the flow, the angles all with the camera and lens strengths and limitations at hand.

Sure liking this. And that is a good picture. I liked scrolling down and having it go on and on...
I will have to check out a few motocross magazines, check out some sources, as you have suggested to see what shots people generally take and hopefuly learn a few tricks. I think the challenge of new shooting is alway appealing. Thanks

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Good work, looks like you got through that steep learning curve ok.
Thanks Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by maxwell1295 Quote
Nice! That'll have you itching for next year.....that's for sure.
Yes... but it doesn't seem fair to discover a bit of fun at the tail end. I definately will go and watch a several races next season. Thanks for looking.
10-20-2008, 01:25 AM   #7

I'm not sure that Mile High Club is a fitting term to use here ;-) (unless you have some seriously interesting picture you are not showing...)

Mile high club - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

10-20-2008, 04:41 AM   #8
Inactive Account

tcdk, haha, my thoughts exactly.
I was expecting something completely different.
10-20-2008, 04:43 AM   #9
Veteran Member

heh... thank god i'm not the only one that thought of that.. hahahahah
10-20-2008, 10:00 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes I picked the thread title with a little smile (the same smile that a fisherman wears as he baits his hook - ha ha). I always enjoy peoples titles. The ones that could have a double meaning (and let you put your mind in the gutter first are fun).

Thanks for looking
10-20-2008, 01:16 PM   #11

Nice pictures BTW. What was the shutter speed?
10-20-2008, 08:22 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
If memory serves me right it was 1/1600 at f5.6 800 iso, K20 body, 16-50 lens. I would pull up the information and verify it but I have a teenager that is glued to the computer playing WOW (does anyone else have that problem???)
The rear tire was spinning quite fast and the one shot I took around 1/1000 of a second was a little blurred.

Thanks for looking.
10-20-2008, 11:11 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by spyglass Quote
If memory serves me right it was 1/1600 at f5.6 800 iso, K20 body, 16-50 lens. I would pull up the information and verify it but I have a teenager that is glued to the computer playing WOW (does anyone else have that problem???)
The rear tire was spinning quite fast and the one shot I took around 1/1000 of a second was a little blurred.
Good enough! Thanks.

Yeah, well, the oldest is five, so no WoW, but he has his games and they work best on my computer as it's the fastest.
10-20-2008, 11:27 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Hehe, if you could capture the bike blurfree, but still have the wheel blur (perhaps some panning), damn, what a shot that would make!
10-21-2008, 12:35 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by marlon Quote
Hehe, if you could capture the bike blurfree, but still have the wheel blur (perhaps some panning), damn, what a shot that would make!
I did try a few panned shots, landscape orientation with slower shutter speeds. I was able to get the bike frozen, background blurred, but lighting was an issue. There was just a band / section of light where the bike would be properly illuminated. I seemed to either be catching one side or the other. As the number of laps / chances dwindled away (only had 8 laps to work with) I went with the best odds (and least moving parts - the most unreliable part being me - ha ha)
One thing I do believe is that commercial images / media condition us and shape our expectation as to what a subject generally looks like. Not saying that we would not recognize or appreciate a particular subject if it appeared differently (and sometimes those are the ones that hit the ball out of the park, refreshing, exciting, new) but rather the tried and true served up tends to meet with easy approval and instant recognition. I really need to see what motocross pictures should look like. I will have to raid my nephew's stash of magazines and thumb through them. I could make a quick check list of points to try.
I like your idea about showing some motion blur with the back, and maybe the front tires as it may give a sense of energy and motion to the shot.

Thank for the thoughts Marlon