Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Orion over Dawson Falls
Lens: 14mm Camera: K3II Photo Location: Wells Grey B.C. ISO: 800 Shutter Speed: Above 6s Aperture: F2.8 
Posted By: aitrus3, 11-22-2019, 02:48 PM

A shot I got last night. Orion over Dawson Falls. 3x 15min shots for the foreground, 1 2.5min tracked shot for the stars. The clouds started to roll in just as Orion started to rise above the trees. Gave the stars an ethereal soft feel, but lost the nebulosity I was wanting to capture.

Views: 922
11-22-2019, 02:55 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

It's really a beautiful result. Thanks for sharing!
11-22-2019, 03:09 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Quite nice!
11-22-2019, 04:28 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well done!

11-22-2019, 05:00 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aitrus3 Quote
x 15min shots for the foreground, 1 2.5min tracked shot for the stars.
Am i reading this correctly that it took about an hour to get this photo? I don't see any snow, but the temperature in Wells Grey this time of year must be close to zero or even a bit colder. The end result is very impressive.
11-22-2019, 06:13 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

That's really cool. I bet it takes a lot of time to find the right conditions. Thanks for sharing
11-22-2019, 06:49 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
Am i reading this correctly that it took about an hour to get this photo? I don't see any snow, but the temperature in Wells Grey this time of year must be close to zero or even a bit colder. The end result is very impressive.
Very little snow right now. The trail in had an inch or so, and the rocks were covered with frost and ice, and it was -4 but felt quite warm near the waterfall. And yes, it did take over an hour. I actually also took 7x2.5min tracked exposures in hopes to stack them as well, but that's a work in progress. In all I think it was 1:05 hrs. Nothing like sitting still for 15 minutes at a time as the camera records. Not artificial light here, no moon light either. The falls were lit entirely with starlight and some very distant (over 60kms away) light pollution... mostly starlight you see here though.

---------- Post added 11-22-2019 at 05:52 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by STARHUNTER94 Quote
That's really cool. I bet it takes a lot of time to find the right conditions. Thanks for sharing
Less than you'd think. I use Stellarium to tell me where something is going to be at any given time, and knowing the ground a bit plus google earth it's fairly easy to know exactly where the object will be in relation to the landscape.

11-22-2019, 07:28 PM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nicely done aitrus3, however you say 3x 15min exposures for the foreground, I can't understand how then there are no star trails in the reflection off the river. 45 mins should leave a longish set of trails. I'm seeing a reflection matching the tracked stars.
11-22-2019, 07:50 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Awesome image. Thanks for sharing. It looks a lot better on flickr.
11-22-2019, 08:05 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
It looks a lot better on flickr.
I agree, if anyone is just going by the small image embedded here, they are missing something special. Spending time in Wells Gray Provincial Park is one of those things I need to do before I kick the bucket. Since 1980, I've driven through Clearwater to get to Vancouver at least 15 times and other than a single rushed drive to the parking lot to look at Helmcken Falls, I've never left the highway.
11-22-2019, 08:18 PM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I agree, if anyone is just going by the small image embedded here, they are missing something special. Spending time in Wells Gray Provincial Park is one of those things I need to do before I kick the bucket. Since 1980, I've driven through Clearwater to get to Vancouver at least 15 times and other than a single rushed drive to the parking lot to look at Helmcken Falls, I've never left the highway.

+1 re viewing on Flickr with a click on the magnify button. A great image.
11-22-2019, 08:47 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nocturnal Quote
Nicely done aitrus3, however you say 3x 15min exposures for the foreground, I can't understand how then there are no star trails in the reflection off the river. 45 mins should leave a longish set of trails. I'm seeing a reflection matching the tracked stars.
Work is done in post swapping out the streaked stars and reflections. I may also do a bare bones star trail image.

---------- Post added 11-22-2019 at 07:50 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by K2 to K50 Quote
+1 re viewing on Flickr with a click on the magnify button. A great image.
Definitely better on Flickr. Image quality is real nice on their platform.

---------- Post added 11-22-2019 at 08:07 PM ----------

Definitely should try to explore it. It helps that I live fairly close, about as close as Calgary folks live to Banff so exploring comes easier.
11-22-2019, 10:45 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Beautiful image and an impressive job of putting it together. I also looked at it on Flickr and it is superb. Thanks for sharing it.
11-22-2019, 10:48 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Surreal! Love it!
11-23-2019, 04:37 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Beautiful and surreal! Thanks for sharing