Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Pentax K-3 II Mounted with SMC Takumar 200mm F4 (Blue Jay)
Lens: SMC Takumar 200mm F4 Camera: Pentax K-3 II Photo Location: Porter, IN ISO: 3200 Shutter Speed: 1/1500s Aperture: F4 
Posted By: Lmcfarrin, 11-22-2019, 05:02 PM

Blue Jay in flight.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 

Views: 208
11-22-2019, 06:01 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
.... another capture, same day.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
11-22-2019, 06:11 PM   #3

Wow, I really like the wing spread on both of those shots. Nice
11-22-2019, 11:13 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

love the first shot.. thanks for sharing

11-29-2019, 11:36 PM   #5

Great shot, I wonder how many pictures to get this image
11-30-2019, 03:23 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by arqjaviergarcia Quote
Great shot, I wonder how many pictures to get this image
Since i have developed this personal style of ONLY manual focus shooting over the past 5 years, I can capture similar unique to rarely seen images of backyard birds routinely. I shoot with 4 to 6 cameras at once which increases capturability. However, out of the 4 to 6 prefocused cameras a capture of sort may occur within the first hundreds of shots or the last thousands of shots.

This shot was obtained by shooting from the top floor of my house through an open window. The blue jay happened to bank which put it relatively perpindicular to my lens which provided a directly over the top perspective.

In short, some days captures are abundant and some days not. As of current I have an extensive gallery of such captures (see my forum posts), but the captures occur mostly from the small things preparing for the shot rather than pure photographic skill.

---------- Post added 11-30-19 at 04:48 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Lmcfarrin Quote
Since i have developed this personal style of ONLY manual focus shooting over the past 5 years, I can capture similar unique to rarely seen images of backyard birds routinely. I shoot with 4 to 6 cameras at once which increases capturability. However, out of the 4 to 6 prefocused cameras a capture of sort may occur within the first hundreds of shots or the last thousands of shots.

This shot was obtained by shooting from the top floor of my house through an open window. The blue jay happened to bank which put it relatively parallel to my lens which provided a directly over the top perspective.

In short, some days captures are abundant and some days not. As of current I have an extensive gallery of such captures (see my forum posts), but the captures occur mostly from the small things preparing for the shot rather than pure photographic skill.
.... the multiple camera image = approximately $5000, not to include not shown RX10 III and other lenses, tripods, batteries, additional wireless trigger, routinely buying bird feed, and TIME/PATIENCE/PERSISTENCE (amassed over the years, i kept my old gear and incorporated gear into my shooting formula).
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SM-G955U  Photo 

Last edited by Lmcfarrin; 6 Days Ago at 06:38 AM.
6 Days Ago   #7
Pentaxian

They are quite a work of art, those birds, beautifully captured.

But wow, what a setup!
6 Days Ago - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ehrwien Quote
They are quite a work of art, those birds, beautifully captured.

But wow, what a setup!
Thanks. The style in the beginning was not intentional. I used the cameras and lenses available - wide angle lenses made me work to get in close. Additional camerss were added as needed to counter the birds evading one camera, then two cameras, until eventually i could "trap" them no matter how they enteted or exited. The different camera brands were instituted while i was pursuing optimal image quality combined with fps shooting. Years later, i realized for me optimal image quality/performance IS BASED ON HOW MUCH ARE YOU WILLING TO SPEND (best lenses and best camera). Ive peaked at aps-c and m43. I cant afford 4 A9s or D5S or K1 IIs, etc not to mention lenses. So my optimal quality is filmish/ soft or slightly out of focus at times. I have not been able to capture using AF so far.