Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 29 Likes Search this Thread
10 Likes  
M42 a lucky single
Posted By: blues_hawk, 11-28-2019, 08:27 AM

I seem to have proven once again that Space is indeed not black.

M42 is also known as "The Great Orion Nebula" but I call it my nemesis. I'm very excited by this year's earliest effort and had to share it everywhere. After a long night battling my usual string of difficulties(balance, bad cable, pc lockup at 18sec remaining,focus, mount leg slipped, polar alignment etc.) I finally noticed that orion had passed above the 40+ degree mark needed to clear my trees about 2:00am. Having had a few decent guiding runs and a guiding indicator target full of sub 1arc second hits, I decided to stay up and give it a try. Glad I did. 15 minutes later I had this monster in the can.

Pentax K5
exposure: 900 seconds @ iso100
Skywatcher EQ6r-pro mount guided by a converted finder scope+asi120s

I used Opensource software Siril ,RAWTherapee, and GIMP to remove green, noise, color calibrate, stretch, asinh stretch and resize for web use.

More about my move to using Super long exposure or "SLE" can be read at Smith River Photography

Cheers!

Attached Images

Views: 1,459
12-05-2019, 07:25 PM - 1 Like   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aitrus3 Quote
Nice job Blues Hawk. Well done! Love the flares!
Thank you!

The flares are actually caused by the crossbars that hold the secondary mirror in place. So whenever you see crosses like that it's probably a newtonian telescope.

12-05-2019, 09:48 PM   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by blues_hawk Quote
Thank you!

The flares are actually caused by the crossbars that hold the secondary mirror in place. So whenever you see crosses like that it's probably a newtonian telescope.
Yeah, I figured it was Newtonian. Only flares that look good on deep space photographs. Refractors don't produce them at all, and stopped down camera lenses can produce too many, not to mention make it quite a bit darker.

Still a good job!
12-06-2019, 12:30 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Just wooooow! Cant take my eyes of it.
12-06-2019, 10:18 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aitrus3 Quote
Yeah, I figured it was Newtonian. Only flares that look good on deep space photographs. Refractors don't produce them at all, and stopped down camera lenses can produce too many, not to mention make it quite a bit darker.

Still a good job!
Correct and well noted.

12-06-2019, 10:33 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by uday029 Quote
Just wooooow! Cant take my eyes of it.
Thank you! I've found myself doing that too. It takes a minute or two to find the little bits that make you go ..wow...that's a ...look at that!

And thanks to all those early commenter's I may have missed. This photo represents years of rpg photography awesomeness, from DIY fails to frustration to testing for developers to trying new things and finally... holy crap look at that!
12-06-2019, 10:34 PM - 2 Likes   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I entered a landscape view of this one in the December contest in hopes of garnering more support for Pentax amateur AP efforts. Outreach for astronomy has become important to me in the last few years and just being able to showcase what is now possible with modest equipment has been very rewarding. I'll be happy to answer any questions as I find them.

Cheers and clear skies!
01-10-2020, 03:37 AM - 1 Like   #37
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by blues_hawk Quote
I seem to have proven once again that Space is indeed not black.

M42 is also known as "The Great Orion Nebula" but I call it my nemesis. I'm very excited by this year's earliest effort and had to share it everywhere. After a long night battling my usual string of difficulties(balance, bad cable, pc lockup at 18sec remaining,focus, mount leg slipped, polar alignment etc.) I finally noticed that orion had passed above the 40+ degree mark needed to clear my trees about 2:00am. Having had a few decent guiding runs and a guiding indicator target full of sub 1arc second hits, I decided to stay up and give it a try. Glad I did. 15 minutes later I had this monster in the can.

Pentax K5
exposure: 900 seconds @ iso100
Skywatcher EQ6r-pro mount guided by a converted finder scope+asi120s

I used Opensource software Siril ,RAWTherapee, and GIMP to remove green, noise, color calibrate, stretch, asinh stretch and resize for web use.

More about my move to using Super long exposure or "SLE" can be read at Smith River Photography

Cheers!
I love these space shots.