Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 28 Likes Search this Thread
13 Likes  #1
M31 Andromeda Galaxy
Lens: TPO 600mm/f4 Camera: K5 Photo Location: Charity, Virginia ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: Above 6s Aperture: F4 
Posted By: blues_hawk, 11-28-2019, 10:39 AM

M31, Andromeda Galaxy is actually quite large in the night sky. It juuust fits in my 600mm aps-c frame.
This one is a noise reduction "stack" of 5 images of 900 seconds each.
Post Proccess in Siril, gimp, and Rawtherapee.

Last edited by blues_hawk; 11-28-2019 at 11:05 PM.
Views: 1,819
11-28-2019, 02:06 PM - 3 Likes   #2
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice shot. I wonder if there is anyone there shooting back at our galaxy.
11-28-2019, 02:30 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Wow! Nice shot. Thanks for sharing
11-28-2019, 02:46 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
I wonder if there is anyone there shooting back at our galaxy.
If you look carefully you'll see there is, and is using flash – the chump. Beautiful capture!

11-28-2019, 02:55 PM - 1 Like   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by blues_hawk Quote
M31 Andromeda Galaxy
Well Done.

My compliments to folk who have the necessary skills, technical abilities and the inclination to go through all the hoops involved to create such amazing images.
11-28-2019, 03:13 PM   #6
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
If you look carefully you'll see there is, and is using flash – the chump. Beautiful capture!
11-28-2019, 03:16 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Awesome work. I just shot andromeda for the first time last month but just using astrotracer on my K-1 and with a much shorter lens, just cropping in. What mount did you use for this, and do you like it?

11-28-2019, 03:26 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Great shot! It's a truely amazing capture. Thanks for sharing.
11-28-2019, 11:01 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Snapppy Quote
Awesome work. I just shot andromeda for the first time last month but just using astrotracer on my K-1 and with a much shorter lens, just cropping in. What mount did you use for this, and do you like it?
Andromeda is so big it does work well with the astrotracer. I've seen some good ones using it and might have a go myself sometime.

I use a full astrophotography setup with a tracking mount and a thing called an autoguider that adjusts tracking speed in tiny increments as needed in order to keep round stars over the course of very long exposures. Mine is a finder scope I converted to use a camera and the rest is done with software that can calculate the needed speed adjustments. It's definitely not easy, or even easy to explain, and there are many many pitfalls (and money pits) to be avoided.
I've been chasing this one for a long time using various mounts and setups and i think this is my best to date. Especially the colors.
11-28-2019, 11:02 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Speaking of colors...what gives? I know I uploaded color. I'll fix that asap..stay tuned!

THERE! now THAT's the new one I expected. :P
11-28-2019, 11:09 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Andromeda is so big it does work well with the astrotracer. I've seen some good ones using it and might have a go myself sometime.

I use a full astrophotography setup with a tracking mount and a thing called an autoguider that adjusts tracking speed in tiny increments as needed in order to keep round stars over the course of very long exposures. Mine is a finder scope I converted to use a camera and the rest is done with software that can calculate the needed speed adjustments. It's definitely not easy, or even easy to explain, and there are many many pitfalls (and money pits) to be avoided.
I've been chasing this one for a long time using various mounts and setups and i think this is my best to date. Especially the colors.

Quick followup: While I was fixing the link to this one I spotted one you might like in my album I used a 50-200mm ed lens to do this one. Could use a flat but I thought you might to see it anyway. I piggybacked the camera and lens earlier in the season and just let it shoot what the main rig was pointing at.
11-29-2019, 02:17 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Spectacular capture mate, great work
11-29-2019, 02:33 AM   #13
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I used a 50-200mm ed lens to do this one.
That is a great image, considering that the lens is not highly regarded by many (although I suspect it is better than they say). I realise it is piggy-backed on a guided system but - for example - if someone could do that in their learning phase they would be very pleased. They would probably be encouraged to go on.
11-29-2019, 05:31 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Lovely, thanks for sharing.
11-29-2019, 02:25 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
That is a great image, considering that the lens is not highly regarded by many (although I suspect it is better than they say). I realise it is piggy-backed on a guided system but - for example - if someone could do that in their learning phase they would be very pleased. They would probably be encouraged to go on.
Yes! It's a great first year target. Big bright and easy to find in the northern hemisphere by using the big triangle part of Cassiopeia to the north as a pointer. I recommend phone/tablet apps that overlay the night sky for getting oriented. I know a fellow that just shared(on FB) an early version of M31 he did using the astrotracer that he did his first year.