Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
When someone feeds the wildlife...
Lens: Tamron 28-75 f2.8 Camera: K-1 Photo Location: parking lot 
Posted By: micromacro, 11-30-2019, 08:48 AM

...then what happens.

I have spoken with the lady yesterday who feeds those geese with cat food right on that parking lot. Then eventually some business owner will call an animal control. That makes me sad when people don't think how they do more harm than good.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 

Views: 434
11-30-2019, 09:16 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I see what you mean...
11-30-2019, 09:17 PM   #3

Unfortunate circumstance, but great photos.
11-30-2019, 11:32 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I've been watching them for about 3 years when the first few geese showed up on the lake. There are also the others feed them, from the local pizzeria and other food places. The lake is exhausted, it's really small to feed such a huge flock, probably about 200 now. Cormorants don't hunt there any more. And the parking lot is not only the total mess, geese block the traffic, it's hard to make them move off the road.

If people could stop feeding them, they will migrate and search for food somewhere else. And will survive.

Last edited by micromacro; 11-30-2019 at 11:38 PM.
12-01-2019, 08:30 AM - 1 Like   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't like this kind of action that people cause. We have a park here where fishermen/women feed the herons and egrets; although, there is not an abundance of either birds and it's on the river, so no blocking traffic.

There still could be a problem where the birds no longer hunt for food and could cause the birds to die because of being hand fed.

Good documentary captures, Lana TFS
12-01-2019, 08:45 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
There still could be a problem where the birds no longer hunt for food and could cause the birds to die because of being hand fed.
Exactly! Not even mentioning that people totally clueless what food to give them. Ones I saw the lady who simply threw the whole big aluminum container of mixed party food leftovers to the lake. I was speechless...

I don't know if that lady stops supplying birds with cat food, but she seemed agreeing with my point that she needs to stop doing it for the sake of wildlife. At least I've tried.
12-02-2019, 08:28 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Thanks for trying to bring awareness to this problem.
We see it all too often around here, with bigger wildlife such as bears as well, who in turn become aggressive and end up destroyed