Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Very shallow dof portrait
Posted By: emilf, 10-20-2008, 04:46 PM

The only model I have that lets me take pictures. Actually quite enjoys the attention I think.

I was playing around with my M 50mm f1.7 and figured I'd take a few of one of the dogs. It's pretty hard (pretty much impossible) to get him to keep still long enough to get focus right, check the exposure etc., but after a few tries I succeeded.

I'd like some constructive criticism - I think it's pretty hard to do a nice looking portrait with a shallow dof, and I'm not sure if this hits the mark and what could be improved.

Taken with *ist D at 1/90th +1ev F1.7 ISO200. Indoors, no flash - only natural light. Converted from raw in ACR and just had a little curves applied.

Last edited by emilf; 10-20-2008 at 05:00 PM. Reason: Wrong aperture for lens (1.7, not 1.4)
Views: 1,762
10-20-2008, 04:52 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
can't decide if I think you need more nose or not. Good work on everything else.
10-20-2008, 05:54 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by vievetrick Quote
can't decide if I think you need more nose or not. Good work on everything else.
The nose is fine, I think.
The focus on the eyes is the most important, as you always look there first, and your eyes keep getting drawn back to them. It seems well balanced. Good stuff.

I do wonder what it would look like if the main light was on the left hand (paw!) side of the face, as the eye there is the one most in focus.
10-20-2008, 09:39 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vievetrick Quote
Thanks. I have a bad tendency to compose in the viewfinder, so to get more of the nose I would have had to redo the shot. It's probably because I'm afraid to lose too many of my few pixels...

As for having more of the nose I'd worry that it would take too much of the focus away from the eye.

QuoteOriginally posted by Spongefingers Quote
The nose is fine, I think.
The focus on the eyes is the most important, as you always look there first, and your eyes keep getting drawn back to them. It seems well balanced. Good stuff.

I do wonder what it would look like if the main light was on the left hand (paw!) side of the face, as the eye there is the one most in focus.
Thanks. That might be interesting - my main worry however would be that the area around the eye that is in focus would get too washed out because of the light. I guess I should try to keep the same amount of light on that side, and just reduce it on the other side.

Another thing I was considering was to darken the area above the head in the background. It seems to pull my eye toward it.