Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Black Friday
Lens: Pentax-DA 55-300mm PLM + 1.4X TC Camera: Pentax KP 
Posted By: reh321, 12-03-2019, 08:52 AM

The day on Black Friday was near sunset when this deer showed up and finished off the "Squirrel and Critter" food on the ground, leading my wife to ask if we could construct a Deer Feeder also.
I said "No - two feeders are enough, and this gal could eat us out of house and home."

Attached Images

Views: 605
12-03-2019, 01:50 PM   #2
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You are right there. First it's her. Then it's a friend or two - and suddenly half the district is coming over for breakfast. But nicely captured.
12-03-2019, 01:50 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
But was it you or your wife who stuck the tree through its neck? only kidding, these critters just don't know how to pose!
12-03-2019, 01:56 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Nice garden visitor

12-03-2019, 02:10 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
You are right there. First it's her. Then it's a friend or two - and suddenly half the district is coming over for breakfast. But nicely captured.
Thank you for your comment.

It turns out that the herd is attracted by the ivy my Mother planted to keep the hillside in place already - I don't need them coming for other reasons - it would ruin our budget, the squirrels and birds each go through a bag each every week or so as it is.
12-03-2019, 02:14 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
But was it you or your wife who stuck the tree through its neck? only kidding, these critters just don't know how to pose!

Actually, I think the tree may have been planted 'naturally' by a passing bird or squirrel. With the deck railing where it is, the tree is doomed to be in almost every photo - the critters don't actually have much choice about posing so I can get them but little of the railing.
12-03-2019, 02:15 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sasastro Quote
Nice garden visitor

12-03-2019, 04:46 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice shot and I would think they could do far more damage than the typical squirrel.
12-03-2019, 06:14 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by foxandcrow Quote
Nice shot and I would think they could do far more damage than the typical squirrel.
Thank you for your complement.

Oh yes, they can cause damage. My sister-in-law lived in Tarrytown, a suburb of New York City, for a while. One of her neighbors, local police chief, warned them that it was illegal to shoot - however tempting - within city limits. They could not have decorative plants, because the deer seem to eat everything. Our deer sometimes wander streetside, but I have never heard of them causing damage. Of course, it may be that our ivy is more tempting than common decorative plants to them.
12-03-2019, 07:01 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Where i live those feeders turn into Bear feeders..
12-03-2019, 08:26 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bschriver11 Quote
Where i live those feeders turn into Bear feeders.

Fortunately, we don't have any wild bears around here - just deer and squirrels.
12-03-2019, 09:48 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Thank you for your complement.

Oh yes, they can cause damage. My sister-in-law lived in Tarrytown, a suburb of New York City, for a while. One of her neighbors, local police chief, warned them that it was illegal to shoot - however tempting - within city limits. They could not have decorative plants, because the deer seem to eat everything. Our deer sometimes wander streetside, but I have never heard of them causing damage. Of course, it may be that our ivy is more tempting than common decorative plants to them.
I am a rose gardener. They top the blossoms off the roses occasionally. In the winter they will chew on the canes until they die back. They eat rose hips if I leave any out there for them.

I am a vegetable gardener. They eat peppers, beat leaves, brussels sprout leaves, and will consume the climbing beans, both beans and leaves, at their eye level. We spray the vegetable garden with rabbit/deer repellant, and if we remember to spray it keeps them out.
12-04-2019, 07:07 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mroeder75 Quote
I am a rose gardener. They top the blossoms off the roses occasionally. In the winter they will chew on the canes until they die back. They eat rose hips if I leave any out there for them.

I am a vegetable gardener. They eat peppers, beat leaves, brussels sprout leaves, and will consume the climbing beans, both beans and leaves, at their eye level. We spray the vegetable garden with rabbit/deer repellant, and if we remember to spray it keeps them out.

We haven't tried to grow roses. My Dad purchased some for my Mother - then apparently pruned them too close to the root and ruined them, so I have never tried.

We grow vegetables every year, but the deer seem to prefer our English Ivy that my Mother planted twenty ago to the cucumbers, tomatoes, and other vegetables that I plant every year. I guess I am just fortunate for their taste, but thank you for showing the other side of them.
12-09-2019, 11:50 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote

We haven't tried to grow roses. My Dad purchased some for my Mother - then apparently pruned them too close to the root and ruined them, so I have never tried.

We grow vegetables every year, but the deer seem to prefer our English Ivy that my Mother planted twenty ago to the cucumbers, tomatoes, and other vegetables that I plant every year. I guess I am just fortunate for their taste, but thank you for showing the other side of them.
I will be happy to coach you if you try roses. They are fun to grow, but challenging. I have a 93 year old lady who looks 73, and walks by my rose beds daily in the summer to inspect the new roses that bloom. I have too many in a limited area at home (34), and they are attacked by Japanese beetles relentlessly, but if you have no more than five roses (I have 5 behind my office) the Japanese beetles won't be abundant and you can have great success with some techniques I can teach. Edmunds Roses, and Jackson & Perkins, are two of the big catalog companies. Let me know . . . I'll coach you.