Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
On December 25 . . . . . . .
Lens: DFA 28-105 Camera: K-1 Photo Location: Our 
Posted By: Sailor, 12-06-2019, 04:24 PM

. . . . . . . my wife will allow me to open this box.

Two or three weeks ago, I was overcome with the desire for a new lens for my K-1, a desire totally disconnected to any actual need or requirement. Even so, I checked out Pentax's current offerings for the first time in a couple of years; there were some new-to-me possibilities, but their size and bulk put me off. Not to be deterred, I resolved that now that I'm shooting a full-frame camera again (after many, many years), it's only fitting that I own a 50 mm lens (I ignored the fact that the 50 mm focal length is covered by my DFA 28-105). Thus, I had three candidates. Of those, the new-to-me DFA 50/1.4 is unattractive (to me) owing to its mass and bulk, and I nixed the "old" FA 50/1.4; I owned one and disliked it because it was so squishy until stopped down to f/2.8.

The third candidate, the venerable DFA 50/2.8 macro makes little sense, in part because I already own a DFA 100/2.8 macro. So . . . . . . I ordered one anyway () since the lens is small and cheap, the latter a characteristic attractive for a completely quixotic purchase.

B&H shipped the lens by Fed Ex for delivery on December 2. As it turned out, my new lens was something of a Flying Dutchman, visiting various cities in East Texas for several days after its arrival in Houston, which is about an hour and 15 minutes to Lake Jackson (where we live). Happily, the 50 found its home last night at 10:00 PM.

Jer

Views: 1,240
12-06-2019, 04:33 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
. . . . . . . my wife will allow me to open this box.

Two or three weeks ago, I was overcome with the desire for a new lens for my K-1, a desire totally disconnected to any actual need or requirement. Even so, I checked out Pentax's current offerings for the first time in a couple of years; there were some new-to-me possibilities, but their size and bulk put me off. Not to be deterred, I resolved that now that I'm shooting a full-frame camera again (after many, many years), it's only fitting that I own a 50 mm lens (I ignored the fact that the 50 mm focal length is covered by my DFA 28-105). Thus, I had three candidates. Of those, the new-to-me DFA 50/1.4 is unattractive (to me) owing to its mass and bulk, and I nixed the "old" FA 50/1.4; I owned one and disliked it because it was so squishy until stopped down to f/2.8.

The third candidate, the venerable DFA 50/2.8 macro makes little sense, in part because I already own a DFA 100/2.8 macro. So . . . . . . I ordered one anyway () since the lens is small and cheap, the latter a characteristic attractive for a completely quixotic purchase.

B&H shipped the lens by Fed Ex for delivery on December 2. As it turned out, my new lens was something of a Flying Dutchman, visiting various cities in East Texas for several days after its arrival in Houston, which is about an hour and 15 minutes to Lake Jackson (where we live). Happily, the 50 found its home last night at 10:00 PM.

Jer

Congratulations on your new arrival. May you and it take many appreciated photographs together, and may you have lots of fun.
12-06-2019, 04:44 PM   #3
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I'd say congratulations, Jer, but it's not in your possession just yet Instead, I hope you'll enjoy the anticipation as much as I know you'll enjoy using such a fine piece of glass. You can't go wrong with a quality macro lens, and the field of view from that D FA50/2.8 is going to be extremely versatile. What a lovely gift from your good lady wife...
12-06-2019, 05:22 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I hope you enjoy the new arrival. You'll be 'baby-talking' to it in no time no doubt. Look forward to some of your macro work

12-06-2019, 05:48 PM   #5
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

And no doubt your wife will leave the box somewhere that you can see it all the time and be reminded how much you want it.

Last edited by PJ1; 12-06-2019 at 05:48 PM. Reason: error
12-06-2019, 05:57 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Will expect to see some good Macros from you with that new Toy
12-06-2019, 09:25 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congrats on the fine new addition to your Pentax family. Hope you two create great images and memories together from here on out! Cheers!

12-07-2019, 12:32 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That’s gonna take a lot of patience from your side. And likely a lot of fun from your wife’s side.
12-07-2019, 01:26 AM   #9
Pentaxian

a desire totally disconnected to any actual need or requirement
We know it well But at least you are honest with yourself

Congrats on a great purchase, have fun using it!
12-07-2019, 07:16 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Congratulations on your new arrival. May you and it take many appreciated photographs together, and may you have lots of fun.
Thanks much for the kind words.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I'd say congratulations, Jer, but it's not in your possession just yet Instead, I hope you'll enjoy the anticipation as much as I know you'll enjoy using such a fine piece of glass. You can't go wrong with a quality macro lens, and the field of view from that D FA50/2.8 is going to be extremely versatile. What a lovely gift from your good lady wife...
Thank you, Mike. Back (way back) in my film days, I'd occasionally leave the gadget bag, the wide angles, telephotos and zooms at home, and venture forth with just my Pentax MX or LX and M50/1.7 - I got some of my best (in my eyes at least) shots by forcing myself to think about what I could do with this simple combo.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by whammerhead Quote
I hope you enjoy the new arrival. You'll be 'baby-talking' to it in no time no doubt. Look forward to some of your macro work
Thank you - I'm definitely looking forward to Christmas day!!

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
And no doubt your wife will leave the box somewhere that you can see it all the time and be reminded how much you want it.
You're right - she's a wonderful woman but does suffer from just a touch of sadism in this regard.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Will expect to see some good Macros from you with that new Toy
I'll so my best, buddy.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by lumenchaser Quote
Congrats on the fine new addition to your Pentax family. Hope you two create great images and memories together from here on out! Cheers!
I appreciate the good wishes - thanks!

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by Vaskebjorn Quote
That’s gonna take a lot of patience from your side. And likely a lot of fun from your wife’s side.
Yep - lucky it's a busy time of year so I'll be able to think about other things!

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by Chris_K Quote
We know it well But at least you are honest with yourself

Congrats on a great purchase, have fun using it!
Thanks very much - I think I'll really enjoy the little guy.

Jer
12-07-2019, 10:10 AM - 2 Likes   #11

Photos: Albums
Pleased with the contents of the box
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
12-07-2019, 10:34 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by József Quote
Pleased with the contents of the box
Wow! Looks like it will be worth the wait. Nice shot.

Jer
12-08-2019, 02:40 AM   #13
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
my wife will allow me to open this box
Aye, but she wants it back to wrap and put under the tree... until on the day.

Who's a frustrated kiddy in the sweet shop...
12-08-2019, 06:48 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Aye, but she wants it back to wrap and put under the tree... until on the day.

Who's a frustrated kiddy in the sweet shop...
Yup - that's the way it works at our house at Christmas time. We enjoy the anticipation . . . . .

Jer

12-08-2019, 07:08 AM - 1 Like   #15
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Yup - that's the way it works at our house at Christmas time.
Aye I ordered on Black Friday, a couple of Billingham Delta End Pockets to go on my Billingham 445...

To my dismay Lady Kerrowdown has intercepted them and they're being wrapped up in lairy paper for the 25th.