Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Her and Him
Lens: Pentax '06' Camera: Pentax Q-7 
Posted By: reh321, 12-09-2019, 08:50 AM

My wife and I spent most of two weeks in November on a trip to Florida. It was partly 'vacation', but also partly family work. Last month, she had moved her Mother from assisted Independent Living in Florida to Assisted Living in California, and now that the lease was finally running out, we had to go down to Florida and see to it that the apartment was ready to be released.

On our first day, we worked half the day, then drove around half-an-hour to Fort Lauderdale By-the-Sea to have lunch with her cousin {who had been the closest thing to a family representative} in the area. The restaurant gave us an outside table, and while we ate we heard much chirping from a nearby bush. Eventually we saw both birds, which my wife determined to be a pair, so I made a composite of the two. I wonder what he {on right} did to get her {on left} so upset.

Attached Images

Views: 748
12-09-2019, 09:25 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
My wife and I spent most of two weeks in November on a trip to Florida. It was partly 'vacation', but also partly family work. Last month, she had moved her Mother from assisted Independent Living in Florida to Assisted Living in California, and now that the lease was finally running out, we had to go down to Florida and see to it that the apartment was ready to be released.

On our first day, we worked half the day, then drove around half-an-hour to Fort Lauderdale By-the-Sea to have lunch with her cousin {who had been the closest thing to a family representative} in the area. The restaurant gave us an outside table, and while we ate we heard much chirping from a nearby bush. Eventually we saw both birds, which my wife determined to be a pair, so I made a composite of the two. I wonder what he {on right} did to get her {on left} so upset.
She must've been HANGRYYY!

12-09-2019, 10:04 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by torashi Quote
She must've been HANGRYYY!
Thank you for your comment.

Yes, she seemed like she was more than 'he forgot again to take out the garbage' mad.
12-09-2019, 10:21 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Yes, she seemed like she was more than 'he forgot again to take out the garbage' mad.
And in the case of birds, taking out the thrash, far away from the nesting area, is a matter of life and death. It can lead predators to the nest's location if left in the vicinity. So she must've been really mad!

12-09-2019, 11:23 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Nice photos of male and female cowbirds. I saw quite a few when I was in south Florida a couple of years ago.
12-09-2019, 01:15 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
Nice photos of male and female cowbirds. I saw quite a few when I was in south Florida a couple of years ago.
As far I am aware, the only cowbird we have around here is the brown-headed one, where the male has a black body and the female has a gray body.
12-09-2019, 01:28 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Nice pics! Best guess on this pair is Common or Boat tail Grackles.... Most likely Boat tail Grackles since it was in Florida and look like they have larger tails than common here. Same family as cowbirds and blackbirds.. The Icterids are some of the smartest birds.. The female is the brown one.. the male the black one.

hth,

Al

12-09-2019, 02:14 PM   #8
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Interesting composite. I have noted other shots of cowbirds and have wondered how they got their name. Do they usually feed around animals (like cows) getting the insects that they stir up? Or pick parasites off them? (Neither question being a reflection on you and your good wife. )
12-09-2019, 03:11 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
Interesting composite. I have noted other shots of cowbirds and have wondered how they got their name. Do they usually feed around animals (like cows) getting the insects that they stir up? Or pick parasites off them? (Neither question being a reflection on you and your good wife. )
I have to admit that I never wondered about the name - so I did some surfing .... it turns out that the species does eat insects - typically insects that are raised by cattle moving around {apparently the insects don't like being stepped on for some reason}
12-09-2019, 05:56 PM   #10
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

so I did some surfing
Thanks. I suppose I should have done that myself.
12-09-2019, 07:47 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
Thanks. I suppose I should have done that myself.
I was curious also - and it occurred to me that I should know.
12-10-2019, 06:58 AM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

As has already been said, these two are a Boat-tailed Grackle, which in my neck at the beaches of Florida are plentiful. Of course the brown one is the female, while the black one is the male. I've photographed them so much that I try to find other birds to shoot when around our water parks.
12-10-2019, 07:31 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
As has already been said, these two are a Boat-tailed Grackle, which in my neck at the beaches of Florida are plentiful. Of course the brown one is the female, while the black one is the male. I've photographed them so much that I try to find other birds to shoot when around our water parks.

Yes, to you they are common - to me, not so much at all. Actually I was hoping to see a pelican, but such was not to be, and as a visitor, I photographed almost anything that moved, and some things that didn't.
12-10-2019, 07:39 AM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Actually I was hoping to see a pelican, but such was not to be, and as a visitor, I photographed almost anything that moved, and some things that didn't.
And had I known before hand you were so close to me, I could have taken you where the Pelican's hang most often.
12-10-2019, 08:22 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
And had I known before hand you were so close to me, I could have taken you where the Pelican's hang most often.
That must be a Dive Bar! ..lol.. sorry could not resist.
Al