Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
just screwing about
Lens: 28 - 90 Sigma aspherical Camera: Pentax K3 Photo Location: My house ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1s Aperture: F22 
Posted By: Liney, 12-14-2019, 02:19 AM

We have a small manufacturing facility at work, and whilst out walking about I came across the scrap metal bins. A lot of the stuff was not very photogenic but I did find a pile of metal shavings that looked interesting. This is one of them, admittedly I need to go back and try taking a few images for stacking but this shows promise

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Views: 261
12-14-2019, 03:17 AM   #2
PJ1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It does indeed show promise. Metal shavings like these have a certain "art" feel to them. I will be interested to see what focus stacking achieves.
12-14-2019, 04:49 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Liney Quote
We have a small manufacturing facility at work, and whilst out walking about I came across the scrap metal bins. A lot of the stuff was not very photogenic but I did find a pile of metal shavings that looked interesting. This is one of them, admittedly I need to go back and try taking a few images for stacking but this shows promise
Nice shot of an 'everyday'-thing
12-14-2019, 08:10 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
that's pretty neat. Well done and good find!

12-14-2019, 12:16 PM - 1 Like   #5
GRB
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It would be interesting to view this shaving from the left, or small end to see what the spiral effect would be with varying lighting,
12-14-2019, 02:18 PM   #6
Pentaxian

That is a good image, just a tad unsharp on my screen. There is certainly a great deal of fun to be had in exploring this further.
12-14-2019, 02:22 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GRB Quote
It would be interesting to view this shaving from the left, or small end to see what the spiral effect would be with varying lighting,
I'll see what I can do and get back to you
12-14-2019, 03:36 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I'd really like to see what stacking would do for this, because I think that's a great idea!

12-14-2019, 08:42 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Neat, thanks for posting
12-14-2019, 11:26 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Had a chance to go back and take some more images, the first pass stack was a bit of a wash out but the second one was better. And just for GRB I turned it round and stacked that too!

Still lots of possibilities, I have three of these metal shavings of various pitches, this is the middle one. Lighting is a little tricky, the shiny metal surface will either blow out the image completely or just show a thin sliver while the rest of the coil is in shadow.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
12-15-2019, 10:18 AM   #11
GRB
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Had a chance to go back and take some more images, the first pass stack was a bit of a wash out but the second one was better. And just for GRB I turned it round and stacked that too!

Still lots of possibilities, I have three of these metal shavings of various pitches, this is the middle one. Lighting is a little tricky, the shiny metal surface will either blow out the image completely or just show a thin sliver while the rest of the coil is in shadow.
Thanks. You satisfied my curiosity. Turned out to be a bit mundane, but still interesting. Your original perspective provides more engaging textures and surfaces. Thanks again for cossetting my imagination.
12-20-2019, 09:53 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I prefer the first image except it is a little soft.