Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Sydney Central Station
Lens: HDDA 16-85 WR Camera: K3 Photo Location: Sydney, Australia ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/30s Aperture: F6.3 
Posted By: RobG, 12-14-2019, 05:18 AM

These are the last photos I'll post from my trip to Sydney for the Pentax event. Most of my other photos were taken with the phone, so they're not great. Train geeks might enjoy this series. Sydney has an extensive electric rail network; with over 2000 km of intercity lines electrified to Newcastle in the north, Kiama in the south and Lithgow in the west.

This is the intercity and interstate section of Central. The suburban lines pass through platforms behind where this photo was taken. The long distance lines terminate to the left. On the right are a restaurant and offices, and a light rail to the inner harbour can be boarded beyond the restaurant. Normally the air in Sydney is much cleaner - at the moment there is thick smoke from bushfires.

Sydney Central
by RobGeraghty, on Flickr

This is one of the few station clocks still in operation. All the modern LCD displays on platforms now show the time, so station clocks are redundant. The railway master clock used to be synchronised with all the station clocks using an electrical signal sent every thirty seconds. Even the huge clock in the Central Station tower was synchronised to the master clock.

Station clock

Central Clock Tower

The very dirty intercity train I took from Parramatta to Central. I think it came from Penrith.

Sydney Intercity

Train sets A46 and H35. The A46 set is a "Waratah" type which was partly built in China and finished in Newcastle Australia. The H35 is an OSCAR (Outer Suburban CAR) type built by UGL and in this case used on the long run to Kiama.

Sydney interurban trains

Sydney Trains Waratah train set A46

Mermec Track Inspection Vehicle

Canberra Xplorer

It was a bit clearer in Canberra before I went to Sydney.

Canberra Explorer

This is what the interior of the first class car looks like.

Canberra Xplorer First Class

There is a bus service between Canberra and Sydney, but I actually prefer having a bit more space on the train, a food service and the ability to get up and take a walk around. The train can be slower than the bus, but on the other hand it never gets caught in traffic!
Views: 218
12-14-2019, 09:33 AM - 1 Like   #2
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
These are the last photos I'll post from my trip to Sydney for the Pentax event. Most of my other photos were taken with the phone, so they're not great. Train geeks might enjoy this series. Sydney has an extensive electric rail network; with over 2000 km of intercity lines electrified to Newcastle in the north, Kiama in the south and Lithgow in the west.

There is a bus service between Canberra and Sydney, but I actually prefer having a bit more space on the train, a food service and the ability to get up and take a walk around. The train can be slower than the bus, but on the other hand it never gets caught in traffic!
I guess I qualify since

* I got into photography through photographing trains when I was in college

* When our daughter needed to move back to Indiana from San Diego because of a new job, I rode the train for over 2000 miles to be her co-driver in her covering the same distance in 3 days

The first photo is especially good. We run trains because of those people.
12-14-2019, 12:03 PM   #3
GRB
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is a very nice series of photos depicting the transportation system.
12-14-2019, 01:36 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I guess I qualify since

* I got into photography through photographing trains when I was in college

* When our daughter needed to move back to Indiana from San Diego because of a new job, I rode the train for over 2000 miles to be her co-driver in her covering the same distance in 3 days

The first photo is especially good. We run trains because of those people.
Cool! It sounds like the train trip from Indiana to San Diego would have been interesting. Did you take any photos? I travelled by train between Grafton and Sydney many times, an overnight journey. I think the longest train journey I've done in Australia is Sydney to Murwillumbah on the now defunct Gold Coast Motorail, where you could put your car on the train. Of course the most epic train trips would be Sydney to Perth or Adelaide to Darwin. One day perhaps!

QuoteOriginally posted by GRB Quote
This is a very nice series of photos depicting the transportation system.
Thanks! in retrospect I'm a bit disappointed that I didn't photograph the light rail and a regular suburban train.

12-14-2019, 02:12 PM - 1 Like   #5
PJ1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another nice set of documentation, Rob. I have only travelled on city networks (Brisbane and Sydney) in recent years. But I wouldn't mind going up north to do the Savannahlander and Gulflander.
12-14-2019, 02:51 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Nice series of shots, I've never had a chance for any pics when there as I'm usually carrying bags and the wife's suitcase and wondering where the hell I am and need to be
12-14-2019, 11:35 PM - 1 Like   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
Another nice set of documentation, Rob. I have only travelled on city networks (Brisbane and Sydney) in recent years. But I wouldn't mind going up north to do the Savannahlander and Gulflander.
In Queensland I've taken the train between Maryborough and Brisbane as well as from Townsville to Cairns. I was quite impressed. I'd also like to experience those trains in the far north.

QuoteOriginally posted by Grippy Quote
Nice series of shots, I've never had a chance for any pics when there as I'm usually carrying bags and the wife's suitcase and wondering where the hell I am and need to be
Thanks, I know what you mean! I was almost an hour early for the train, so I used the time to take some photos.