Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Velcro and Magic
Posted By: reh321, 12-21-2019, 05:57 PM

In 2003, we moved from Indiana to Kansas. Our daughters, who were then entering 11th grade and 7th grade, respectively, insisted that a kitten born in a neighbor's house that summer join us as "reparation" - thus, the gray&white cat we call "Velcro" {she has never controlled her claws very well, so she sticks to almost everything} joined our family. A year later, we added the 'tortie' kitten we called "Magic" to the family. For the first two days, we kept the two cats separate, but then our younger daughter wanted to see what would happen if they actually met. Magic actually attacked the older cat, and I did catch the moment on film.

The two spent the next year or so working out their relationship {I thought Velcro let Magic be boss most of the time}, but by the time I took the second photo (Dec 2006} they were getting along OK.

By Spring 2011, I noticed that Velcro was now picking fights with Magic. As Summer progressed, we started finding little piles of vomit around the house and figured out that Magic had some kind of problem {Velcro had apparently noticed that Magic was 'a step slower' and the fights were her reclaiming leadership}. The Vet went through a list of possible causes; the other thing we noticed was Magic's loss of energy - the third photo showed the scene in our dining room after one of those trips to the Vet. However, she never did give us a definite diagnosis --- until Magic died in October, of a definite case of lymphoma.

Eight years have passed since then. Velcro is still with us, now joined by all-black "Leila". I have to rub Velcro's ears twice a day with a topical medicine that is supposed to envigerate her failing tyroid gland, but I'm afraid she won't reach her seventeen birthday in May.

Attached Images

Views: 510
12-21-2019, 06:22 PM   #2
Banned

Cats are great aren't they? It's tough to lose them. Thanks for the photos.
12-21-2019, 09:39 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Hawkfan Quote
Cats are great aren't they? It's tough to lose them. Thanks for the photos.
Thank you for your comment.

Yes, every once in awhile I will accidentally call one of our two “Magic” - and when Velcro’s time is past, I will definitely miss her.