Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Finally Got My Owl!
Posted By: slick100d, 03-04-2007, 11:59 AM

Hi!

I've been trying to get a picture of this guy since the first (of two) "snowstorm of the century", but all I ever saw was tail feathers.
My daughter saw him first while I was trying to break some of the ice off our Arbor Vitae. She said a big bird flew out. I didn't think much of it but my older daughter saw it too and thought it was an owl. I've tried to sneak out several times but he always zooms off before I can get a shot.

While I was making coffee this morning, I glanced out the window and there he was. I already had the camera in the kitchen, so I turned it on and started blasting bits! I got several, but only a few were sharp, before he hopped down into cover (the last shot).

I searched on the internet and the best I can tell is that he's a short eared owl, however I'll leave the final identification to the experts.

I'm very surprised that he's hanging out in this residential area. I'm going to clean the kitchen window today and hope he comes back.

All pictures were taken with a K100D and Promaster 70-300 LD. Thanks for looking.

Views: 4,177
03-06-2007, 11:43 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by palmor Quote
Oh I am right there with you on that. I'm just trying to decide if I want to:
- Take the plunge on the Bigma
- Get the newly announced pentax 300/f4 and add a 1.4TC although that might still be a little short at 420mm
- Wait even longer and see if Pentax does announce the "wished for" 400/f4
- Get some other 400-500mm prime and add a TC. The one that I see is available for Pentax but way out of my price range now is the Sigma 500 f/4.5. That would be ideal, buts its $3000

None of these things is cheap so I'll probably live with the combo I have until I can convince the wife that "we" really need it .
I'm with you on the "wife" thing. She's been supportive but I haven't made any large $ lens purchases (yet). I only have one new lens; an FA35/2 that I love! Your Sigma is on my short list.

Here's one from yesterday morning. I let the dogs out in the morning and he flew out but only went a few feet and landed on our swing set. He watched them VERY closely!

03-06-2007, 11:46 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Oh wow! That owl thinking about playing with your kids on the monkey bars now? Great shot!