Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  
Extreme Wave Advisory
Posted By: NotMyFatDog, 12-28-2019, 01:33 AM

As a follow up to the thread I posted, What focal length would you use for a beach with waves? - PentaxForums.com, I took all my lenses on vacation and shot with each one at Long Beach on Vancouver Island.

The beach had Extreme wave advisory signs up and the tide was coming in fast and hard.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 

Views: 1,006
12-29-2019, 10:33 AM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Not exactly a great time of year for surfing?

12-29-2019, 10:39 AM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This part of the ocean, there’s really not that much difference between summer and winter as far as water temp. It’s wetsuits all year round... Winter might get the surfers better waves, even.
12-29-2019, 02:07 PM - 1 Like   #18
Veteran Member

Beautiful and dangerous!
12-29-2019, 06:26 PM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
This part of the ocean, there’s really not that much difference between summer and winter as far as water temp. It’s wetsuits all year round... Winter might get the surfers better waves, even.
Ah okay, I didn't know that! Wetsuits and hot chocolate after I think.

12-29-2019, 06:38 PM   #20

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by STARHUNTER94 Quote
Not exactly a great time of year for surfing?
Surfing is all year round here with wetsuits but when the surf is that big and fast people will not go out. There's a strong riptide and the waves are just too close to risk going out.

I think the water is around 4-5°C around this time of year and goes up to about 15°C in summer. Still chilly, I won't go in unless its the hottest day.
12-30-2019, 10:05 AM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by NotMyFatDog Quote
Surfing is all year round here with wetsuits but when the surf is that big and fast people will not go out. There's a strong riptide and the waves are just too close to risk going out.

I think the water is around 4-5°C around this time of year and goes up to about 15°C in summer. Still chilly, I won't go in unless its the hottest day.
I am going to be out in that area in August, on a kayak fishing expedition out of Tofino (just a few miles away). I’m pretty sure that I’ll take a phot or two, and pretty sure I will get wet enough to report back on the water temperature. �� If there’s any kayak surfing, it will be unintentional though!