Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Old shots with new software - Pentax retrospective
Posted By: newmikey, 12-28-2019, 02:59 PM

Here's what happens when you let loose DT3.0, Gimp2.10 and NeatImage8.5 on some extremely old files - some of them 10+ years old even! I had a blast using the newest Digikam to do fuzzy searches in my extended archive of images. A few with my very first Pentax DSLR (K110D), K100D-Super and a few with the awesome K20D! I'll save K-5, K-5 IIs and K70 examples for the next post. My KP should be arriving early next week so we're chugging along.

What I can see in retrospective is the jump in capability between the 6Mp bodies and the K20D - the jump from the K20D to the K-5 was much smaller. Noise-wise, the sensors have gone through an incredible development in those 10+ years, the difference is day an night (no pun intended). What did impact my photography over the years was the various lenses I purchased - as I learned more, I became hungry for better glass and some of that glass has endured until today such as the DA50-135 which I bought for the K20D and is still one of my best lenses on the K-70 today.

Anyway, it's nice to wrangle "lost" images from the past and redo the raw conversion with today's tools. All of these were PEF files and DT had no issue at all with them - so much for the prophets of doom saying newer software will not deal with older manufacturer-specific raw files. The shots come from my travels all over the world, from Ottawa to Madrid to Amsterdam, anywhere either leisure or work took me (and my camera). Hope you enjoy and feel free to comment!

Views: 554
12-28-2019, 07:00 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by newmikey Quote
Here's what happens when you let loose DT3.0, Gimp2.10 and NeatImage8.5 on some extremely old files - some of them 10+ years old even! I had a blast using the newest Digikam to do fuzzy searches in my extended archive of images. A few with my very first Pentax DSLR (K110D), K100D-Super and a few with the awesome K20D! I'll save K-5, K-5 IIs and K70 examples for the next post. My KP should be arriving early next week so we're chugging along.

What I can see in retrospective is the jump in capability between the 6Mp bodies and the K20D - the jump from the K20D to the K-5 was much smaller. Noise-wise, the sensors have gone through an incredible development in those 10+ years, the difference is day an night (no pun intended). What did impact my photography over the years was the various lenses I purchased - as I learned more, I became hungry for better glass and some of that glass has endured until today such as the DA50-135 which I bought for the K20D and is still one of my best lenses on the K-70 today.

Anyway, it's nice to wrangle "lost" images from the past and redo the raw conversion with today's tools. All of these were PEF files and DT had no issue at all with them - so much for the prophets of doom saying newer software will not deal with older manufacturer-specific raw files. The shots come from my travels all over the world, from Ottawa to Madrid to Amsterdam, anywhere either leisure or work took me (and my camera). Hope you enjoy and feel free to comment!
New software can give us more to work with, but just the passage of time can cause us to look at a photo in a whole new way.

Either way, good work!
12-29-2019, 01:38 AM   #3
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I like the colours and the clarity in these pics. Some are the CCD sensor I presume.
12-29-2019, 01:52 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great shots! Well worth the reprocessing I think - well done!

12-29-2019, 09:00 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
These are fabulous architecture photos, and there is no way I would know that they didn't come from a current DSLR. Thanks for sharing them.
12-29-2019, 11:38 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Great reflection images, I really like how you used those windows!
12-29-2019, 01:41 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Really nice images from the glass reflections!

12-29-2019, 02:01 PM   #8
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by newmikey Quote
Old shots with new software
In Barcelona they actually build 'em like that reflection in the first image...
12-29-2019, 03:58 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great images! It is nice to see great results like this from other than Adobe products. Thanks for sharing.
12-29-2019, 09:58 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Love all of them. The colors really pop.
12-30-2019, 03:28 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by grog85361 Quote
Great images! It is nice to see great results like this from other than Adobe products. Thanks for sharing.
I actually don't think I've ever used any Adobe product - different software universe than mine but I'm sure I'm not the only one! I used Ufraw for the longest time but Darktable eventually won me over.