Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Oregon Coast Zen.
Lens: D FA 28-105mm Camera: K-1 II ISO: 500 Shutter Speed: 1/320s Aperture: F10 
Posted By: DW58, 12-29-2019, 10:27 PM

Apparently stacking stones is good for the soul. I have absolutely no proof that it does not.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1 Mark II  Photo 

Views: 1,029
12-29-2019, 10:58 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You probably know this. I didn't. When I was visiting my brother in Tucson we hiked a small mountain/foothill; he pointed out the stone stacking to me. It is something to look for on a hike. Hikers stack stones to mark the hiking trail. If you don't see stacked stones, you wandered off-trail; go back;and look for stacked stones to get back on the trail. Otherwise risk death in the dessert.

I am from Iowa, and while stones are not unknown to us, stacking them to mark a trail here is entirely unknown. You can't get lost, unless you are a toddler in a corn field. You are always about a quarter mile from a farm house in a rural area here.
12-29-2019, 11:37 PM   #3
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice shot. Very interesting structure. Presumably the waves don't reach there. But surely a strong wind would topple them too.
12-29-2019, 11:39 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mroeder75 Quote
You probably know this. I didn't. When I was visiting my brother in Tucson we hiked a small mountain/foothill; he pointed out the stone stacking to me. It is something to look for on a hike. Hikers stack stones to mark the hiking trail. If you don't see stacked stones, you wandered off-trail; go back;and look for stacked stones to get back on the trail. Otherwise risk death in the dessert.

I am from Iowa, and while stones are not unknown to us, stacking them to mark a trail here is entirely unknown. You can't get lost, unless you are a toddler in a corn field. You are always about a quarter mile from a farm house in a rural area here.
I appreciate the feed back and while the stacking of stones to mark trails is not uncommon these stacked stones do not. If they were you'd have two choices. One side of the stones is the Pacific ocean where hiking is...let's say difficult. The other side of the stones keeps you close to resorts, restaurants and parking lots. Here on the Oregon coast these stacked stones represent one's getting in touch with themselves. Not for me personally but can make for interesting photographs.

12-29-2019, 11:43 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
Nice shot. Very interesting structure. Presumably the waves don't reach there. But surely a strong wind would topple them too.
A very strong wind. They really don't have much wind resistance.
12-29-2019, 11:48 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DW58 Quote
I appreciate the feed back and while the stacking of stones to mark trails is not uncommon these stacked stones do not. If they were you'd have two choices. One side of the stones is the Pacific ocean where hiking is...let's say difficult. The other side of the stones keeps you close to resorts, restaurants and parking lots. Here on the Oregon coast these stacked stones represent one's getting in touch with themselves. Not for me personally but can make for interesting photographs.
See, you have the situational awareness, an Iowan doesn't. I don't see a resort in sight.
12-30-2019, 12:08 AM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mroeder75 Quote
See, you have the situational awareness, an Iowan doesn't. I don't see a resort in sight.
For only a small fee I'd be happy to go back, turn around 180 degrees and provide a wonderful photograph of the Adobe Motel. Restaurant and Lounge.

12-30-2019, 05:17 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DW58 Quote
For only a small fee I'd be happy to go back, turn around 180 degrees and provide a wonderful photograph of the Adobe Motel. Restaurant and Lounge.
Do they use the term "Californicate" any more to describe the sprawl created by commercialization .
12-30-2019, 06:22 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I guess I am not all that spiritual, I have never been obsessed with stacking rocks. Maybe that was because my dad made my brother and I pick up rocks in our horse pasture many times (I swear that they grow in pastures in Montana). However a co-worker and his wife are into stacked rocks and paid me a dinner to photograph some stacked rocks which they hung on their wall (my one and only paid gig
12-30-2019, 07:53 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Cool shot, Dave. I must admit, I have - until this moment - been unaware that stacking stones is a "thing". Seems like a tedious undertaking to me, but - hey - I enjoy washing my cars, something most people would stack stones to avoid.

Again - cool photo; I like the stone stacks against the backdrop of a roiling sea.

Jer
12-30-2019, 08:44 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've never seen that at the ocean only on mountain tops and they didn't look that precarious. Great shot by the way.
12-30-2019, 09:57 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
I guess I am not all that spiritual, I have never been obsessed with stacking rocks. Maybe that was because my dad made my brother and I pick up rocks in our horse pasture many times (I swear that they grow in pastures in Montana). However a co-worker and his wife are into stacked rocks and paid me a dinner to photograph some stacked rocks which they hung on their wall (my one and only paid gig
Parents had me move a rock or two as well when we lived in Wyoming. I got paid for moving rocks when I worked for a landscaper for a couple of years in the 1970's. Not sure my back could take it now a days.
12-30-2019, 09:59 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by foxandcrow Quote
I've never seen that at the ocean only on mountain tops and they didn't look that precarious. Great shot by the way.
I googled rock stacking and found it's not uncommon. People all over the world do it for various reasons. Thanks for the comment.
12-30-2019, 10:03 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Cool shot, Dave. I must admit, I have - until this moment - been unaware that stacking stones is a "thing". Seems like a tedious undertaking to me, but - hey - I enjoy washing my cars, something most people would stack stones to avoid.

Again - cool photo; I like the stone stacks against the backdrop of a roiling sea.

Jer
Thanks Jer. I don't see myself stacking rocks any time soon either.
12-30-2019, 10:18 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Rock stacking is very common all over. And it *is* a fun, kinda Zen activity. You get into the groove and focus on it, and it lets the rest of the world fade away for a while...

In some places it has a religious aspect. For instance in Hawaii it is considered sacred and many of the locals get very upset at tourists making stacks on their lands. Here on the Mainland it’s just for fun and for each of us to decide what it means.

And this is a Wonderful picture that should be hanging on a wall somewhere!