Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Stargate
Lens: Irix 15mm f/2.4 Camera: K-1 MKII Photo Location: Finland ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: Above 6s Aperture: F7.1 
Posted By: MJKoski, 01-02-2020, 12:50 PM

Now here is a bugger. This is about the weird behavior of K-1 (mkII) when used in bulb mode and bulb mode is set to activate with one shutter press and stop the exposure with another press. In short, here is what happened:

0) I set camera to single shot mode
1) I enabled LENR
2) I started ~hour long exposure in bulb mode with remote release by locking it to shooting position but did not release
3) After an hour I released the remote shutter from shooting position and nothing seemed to happen
4) Right...I forgot to just press once to start the exposure
5) I pointed the camera forwards and released shutter once from the camera body, not the remote release
6) I heard shutter clack...
7) I clicked the shutter release on camera body after 99 seconds
8) No way...camera started to count down from 99 seconds for the LENR

I expected to get one messed up 99 second bulb exposure but instead I got this (converted to B&W):

That is not 99 second bulb exposure. It is two exposures in one frame with EXIF having 99 seconds as exposure time.
Views: 589
01-02-2020, 01:23 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
Now here is a bugger. This is about the weird behavior of K-1 (mkII) when used in bulb mode and bulb mode is set to activate with one shutter press and stop the exposure with another press. In short, here is what happened:

0) I set camera to single shot mode
1) I enabled LENR
2) I started ~hour long exposure in bulb mode with remote release by locking it to shooting position but did not release
3) After an hour I released the remote shutter from shooting position and nothing seemed to happen
4) Right...I forgot to just press once to start the exposure
5) I pointed the camera forwards and released shutter once from the camera body, not the remote release
6) I heard shutter clack...
7) I clicked the shutter release on camera body after 99 seconds
8) No way...camera started to count down from 99 seconds for the LENR

I expected to get one messed up 99 second bulb exposure but instead I got this (converted to B&W):

That is not 99 second bulb exposure. It is two exposures in one frame with EXIF having 99 seconds as exposure time.
You are 100% correct - this seems to be weird.
I believe another another K-1ii user has reported this behavior, but I do not remember who or where reported right now.
It does give an interesting effect, however.
01-02-2020, 01:48 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We need an answer for this, can we do in-camera double exposures??? That would be a GREAT feature! At first I am thinking that the long exposure noise compensation that you can turn on and off was on (which is the default setting), but I would love to do in camera double exposures!
01-02-2020, 02:00 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hmm, doesn't multi-exposure with "Additive" -mode do that? I dunno, never tried that mode as I have always used either average or bright. But anyway, this undocumented feature allows for doubling exposure time with LENR working only for half the amount of the exposure. Like, say, one takes 1 + 1 hour long trails but gets away with 1 hour dark frame (which removes most of the noise anyway). Here, 99 second LENR calculation did not do very good job of handling the long exposure and 100% crop is kind of noisy.

And sure, this gives double exposure as well.

I would like to have electronic shutter for multi-exposures too. It would have good enough IQ when used with short exposures. But that is another conversation altogether.

01-02-2020, 02:09 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Not familiar with K-1 operation, but the result is a very cool picture!
01-02-2020, 02:52 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have not had this happen with my K-1 but it sure is a "happy little accident"!
Like the end result very much.
01-02-2020, 03:41 PM   #7
Total n00b Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

While it might not be what you were intending with the picture, it turned out rather awesome looking.

01-02-2020, 04:03 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gorgarath Quote
While it might not be what you were intending with the picture, it turned out rather awesome looking.
Awesome is the word - a truly stunning photograph.

Makes me wish my K-1 would screw up one of these days!

Jer
01-02-2020, 04:43 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Maybe not what you were trying to capture - but a stunning shot!
(I believe you can change the settings to have a shutter press start then second to stop, or to have a long shutter press - at least I can on my K-50 in the custom menus)
01-02-2020, 04:51 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you for feedback and ideas. Yes, the setting can be changed between two presses and one long press. I had changed it to two press mode but did not remember it at all and tried to use it as one long press (locking the remote release to shooting position first for one long exposure).
01-02-2020, 05:07 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here's a thought, you listed what you did that gave the effect, but there may be some errors in the process you were TRYING to do that resulted in the image. Can you refine the list to get a repeatable result and provide us with this information?

Regards,
01-04-2020, 06:18 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I tried to replicate this with short exposures (up to 10 seconds) and was not able to reproduce the effect. LENR starts counting instantly when shutter release is triggered 2nd time. What remains is trying to replicate with the original setup (~1 hour long exposure and then triggering a short one).

But for what it is worth, multi-exposure with "Additive" mode gives the same outcome with any length exposure allowing double, or greater, number of exposures on top of each other without extra trickery.
01-04-2020, 11:14 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The details escape me but the result is a unique experience . TFS
01-04-2020, 03:07 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Whatever you did it works really well. Accidents can be brilliant.
01-04-2020, 08:04 PM   #15
F/8 & Somewhere
Loyal Site Supporter

Certainly a happy accident. Not sure if this can be made into a real, controllable technique or not. It does ignite ideas for fully planned images. Thanks for a very interesting, if unintended, image.