Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Link Farm Covered Bridge (1912), Giles Co., VA - 02-Jan-2020
Lens: Pentax-DA 18-270mm Camera: Pentax K-70 Photo Location: Near Mountain Lake Hotel, Giles Co., VA ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/4s Aperture: F7.1 
Posted By: Dale H. Cook, 01-03-2020, 01:21 PM

I frequently drive within about a mile of this bridge, but this was my first visit. It was a gray winter day so the lighting was not the best, but I will return in the near future. This bridge was built in 1912 and is just off of Mountain Lake Road, which leads to Mountain Lake Hotel, used for some of the principal shooting in the film Dirty Dancing. The bridge is on private property but is easy to photograph. Unlike most covered bridges in my part of the country this one can still be used by vehicles. Note that I have begun to experiment with bracketing images to avoid clipping. Although that worked fine at home I somehow messed things up in the field and the histograms show that all of my images of the bridge were overexposed and clipped at the high end. I was running late and did not review the histograms in the field, which was a big mistake. This image is the best of the set, but required some post. I think I have figured out what went wrong (I was using the wrong preset) and I will have another go at this bridge soon.

I have created a new web page exclusively for my covered bridge photos as I expect to be taking many more:

Star City Photos - Covered Bridges

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 

Views: 741
01-03-2020, 01:47 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Nice winter's day feeling to the picture.
01-03-2020, 04:54 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dale H. Cook Quote
I frequently drive within about a mile of this bridge, but this was my first visit. It was a gray winter day so the lighting was not the best, but I will return in the near future. This bridge was built in 1912 and is just off of Mountain Lake Road, which leads to Mountain Lake Hotel, used for some of the principal shooting in the film Dirty Dancing. The bridge is on private property but is easy to photograph. Unlike most covered bridges in my part of the country this one can still be used by vehicles. Note that I have begun to experiment with bracketing images to avoid clipping. Although that worked fine at home I somehow messed things up in the field and the histograms show that all of my images of the bridge were overexposed and clipped at the high end. I was running late and did not review the histograms in the field, which was a big mistake. This image is the best of the set, but required some post. I think I have figured out what went wrong (I was using the wrong preset) and I will have another go at this bridge soon.

I have created a new web page exclusively for my covered bridge photos as I expect to be taking many more:

Star City Photos - Covered Bridges
Nice traditional rural scene
01-04-2020, 06:34 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Me leica

01-04-2020, 10:28 AM   #5

Original Poster
I have compiled a list of all of the still-standing historical covered bridges in Virginia (seven), West Virginia (seventeen), and North Carolina (two). I still need to photograph five in Virginia (all in the western part of the state where I live). I have photographed one in West Virginia and there are at least three more in WV that I can day trip to.
01-04-2020, 10:56 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
love covered bridges TFS nice photo